Cultivated Reef

High Nitrate

appsgang43

Is there something I can use to lower the Nitrates in my tank. I have tested my r/o water and there is not reading of Nitrate in it. But once its in my tank I read between 10 and 20. My ammonia and nitrite are both zero.

Alk 11

Ph 7.8

Calcium 440

Phos 0

Any ideas on what I can do?

Is there something I can use to lower the Nitrates in my tank. I have tested my r/o water and there is not reading of Nitrate in it. But once its in my tank I read between 10 and 20. My ammonia and nitrite are both zero.

Alk 11

Ph 7.8

Calcium 440

Phos 0

Any ideas on what I can do?

Regular water changes. Macro Algea. Chemi-pure...these are some of the more common ways. Water changes on a regular basis are a must.

What test kit are you using? If you're already doing some of these things and have a low bio-load it could be a faulty test kit.

I only feed everyother day, and I do have chaeto.

How long has the cheato been in there? Is it growing? On all my tanks once I've added cheato my nitrates go to zero. How long has this tank been up?

How long has the cheato been in there? Is it growing? On all my tanks once I've added cheato my nitrates go to zero. How long has this tank been up?

The chaeto has been in about 3 weeks, my tank was switched over from my 8 gallon that had been up and running for 8 months. I had the same problem in my 8 gallon though. I know the chaeto needs light, but right now it is in my middle chamber with chemi pure and live rock. Should I put it in tank where it will get more light.

The chaeto has been in about 3 weeks, my tank was switched over from my 8 gallon that had been up and running for 8 months. I had the same problem in my 8 gallon though. I know the chaeto needs light, but right now it is in my middle chamber with chemi pure and live rock. Should I put it in tank where it will get more light.

Did you shave off the coating on the back? Is the light in the tank the only light source for the cheato?

Also, I'd remove the rubble from the middle chamber. More times than not, rather than adding to the denitrification process that rubble simply traps more dietrus and adds to the problem.

I have an 8 gallon biocube at work. I shaved off the film over the middle chamber and have a light that lights the cheato at night. It grows like crazy and nitrates are 0.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Did you shave off the coating on the back? Is the light in the tank the only light source for the cheato?

Also, I'd remove the rubble from the middle chamber. More times than not, rather than adding to the denitrification process that rubble simply traps more dietrus and adds to the problem.

I have an 8 gallon biocube at work. I shaved off the film over the middle chamber and have a light that lights the cheato at night. It grows like crazy and nitrates are 0.

Hope this helps.

Ben

Do you use Bio Balls in the chamber instead of rubble? Also I am changing over to a sunpod, so that should solve the light problem. I hope.

Do you use Bio Balls in the chamber instead of rubble? Also I am changing over to a sunpod, so that should solve the light problem. I hope.

No bio balls.... Just cheato in the middle chamber. I put filter floss over the top to catch particles and keep carbon / GFO in the first chamber with my heater. Third chamber is just the return pump.

Hope this helps.

Ben

what do you mean shave off the coating?

what do you mean shave off the coating?

If you get a razor blade you can shave off the paint on the back of the bio cube. Then just place a light behind it to light your entire middle chamber.

get more chaeto lol.

and it doesnt lower nitrate to zero.

try to keep it below 10. my 10g before was around those numbers and i only had 3 piece of coral (one very large frogspawn) and 2 clowns. dont think it hit 20 before tho. that chaeto saved me. its under lots of light too.

also might want to raise your pH a little.

Perpahs not for you, however in every tank I've had after adding cheato my nitrate is ZERO

lol theres no such thing as zero. simply your test kit just cant detect the small amounts.

at some point after i added chaeto my nitrate was undetectable for a few days and it came back to about 10-20 so i did a WC.

Not mine either.

I keep trying to tell you man... your dog face puffer doesn't eat dog food! Krill and Mysis will do! Quit dumping skippy in your tank!

lol theres no such thing as zero. simply your test kit just cant detect the small amounts.

at some point after i added chaeto my nitrate was undetectable for a few days and it came back to about 10-20 so i did a WC.

Touche. With my Salifert kit nitrate is always undetectable. CLEAR.

The Propagator

He likes Jiff peanut butter on snausages now thank you very much !!

SO any who ..... appsgang43... what test kit are you using to test with ?

Trust me its relevant. ;)

I'm using API Salt Water Test Kit. I too am having trouble getting my Nitrates to zero. THey were zero for a day after I added Chaeto then it rose back up to 5 and has been there ever since. Tank is now 3 weeks old. All other params are looking good.

The Propagator

It never will be using an API kit or anything other then high dollar.

It will always read at least 10. With cheaper kits it also greatly depends on the users ability to tell slight variations in color too. Where some might see 10 - 0 some one else may see 20 in a nitrate kit because the yellow tones are so close.

If your not already doing this .. check for color under normal room lighting. NOT next to the tank.

The blue light will fluoresce the pigment and give you a false reading on certain things like, calcium, alkalinity, phosphate, PH, and some times even Nitrate.

API is a reliable kit. I use them (for what every thats worth... :huh: )

It never will be using an API kit or anything other then high dollar.

It will always read at least 10. With cheaper kits it also greatly depends on the users ability to tell slight variations in color too. Where some might see 10 - 0 some one else may see 20 in a nitrate kit because the yellow tones are so close.

If your not already doing this .. check for color under normal room lighting. NOT next to the tank.

The blue light will fluoresce the pigment and give you a false reading on certain things like, calcium, alkalinity, phosphate, PH, and some times even Nitrate.

API is a reliable kit. I use them (for what every thats worth... :huh: )

why would it never show zero...as i said i tested DI water as a control and it showed zero. I also tested my water b4 and it was zero...

Archived