Top Shelf Aquatics

My DIY hood

NanoReefer53

NanoReefer53

Hey,

Well i'm another step closer to getting prepared for my upcomming 20gal reef. Here's a couple pics of a alumminum hood with a couple modifications that I made to accomidate the bulbs that I wanted. I couldn't get that 250w MH system cause that jerk decided to sell it to someone that offered higher.

There's suppose to be another 65w in there but it's currently in use. U get the idea though...

hood_bulbs.JPG

hood_close.JPG

hood_far.JPG

NanoReefer53

probably gonna have it raied up an ich off the glass with acrylic blocks i found then have a regular CPU fan blowing in the back of it. Probably gonna saw some ventilation strips down the top if i can get my hands on one =P

It's gonna have

2x   65w 10K's

2x   20w Actinics overdriven

Next time I change bulbs, probably gonna buy 55w actinic since HelloLights now make true actinic PCs.

• 2 months later...
NanoReefer53

Actually it's been redone again. I now have a 175w MH bulb with 2x20w actinic. I'll post up pics when i get them along with info.

Thats awesome! How much did it cost to make? I'm thinking about using a 175 watt halide bulb when I setup my 20 gallon nano but I don't know if its cheaper to diy or to buy a pendant.

NanoReefer53

hood with legs-$50

bulb and dual ballast-$50

N.O actinic bulbs-$5

ballast for N.O bulbs-free

Spending time thinkin of how to fit this thing in-priceless ;)

hood with legs-$50

bulb and dual ballast-$50

N.O actinic bulbs-$5

ballast for N.O bulbs-free

nice tan just from walking to the kitchen... Priceless

:1roll:

(Edited by Korbin at 4:15 pm on June 4, 2002)

(Edited by Korbin at 4:16 pm on June 4, 2002)

nano,

where is that hood on petsupplyliquidators.com?  i didn't see it.  also, this thing only cost you a little over 100 bucks??  where did you get the hallide ballast/bulb?

NanoReefer53

petsupplyliquidator usually sells their hoods in complete sets with the bulbs, ballasts, and the whole deal. I asked them for only the hood and legs so they sold it to me for $50. I got the ballast and bulb from a local reefer who was upgrading lighting. Originally $90 but sold off what I didn't need. I put in my own reflector under and around the bulb as seen in picture #2.

and for those that notcied, yes the hood is a little crooked. that's because the glass canopy was too big for the tank so part of it goes up. i'm having it cut soon so it'll look better.

NanoReefer53

right beside the tank stand. I might be upgrading to a single 150w HQI or a 250w so the ballast is going to be smaller, which i'll probably keep inside the stand to free up space.

NanoReefer53

haha, not the PFO ones. It's 5lbs each ballast plus another 20lb chunk of steel that it's encased in.

mhaq2SMALL.jpg

anyone wanna buy it ? i'm still accepting offers.

NanoReefer53

new update.....

it's gonna be upgraded to a 250w Iwasaki for all the light that a 20g can want :biggrin:

So that concludes....does anyone want to a buy a PFO dual 175w ballast ?

NanoReefer53

make me an offer through my e-mail at lilazn3boi@yahoo.com

Retail is $120 for the ballast and ~$70 for the 7month old bulb.

Shipping ~$30  so make reasonable offer.

(Edited by NanoReefer53 at 12:43 pm on June 20, 2002)

(Edited by NanoReefer53 at 12:43 pm on June 20, 2002)

Archived