inTank Media Baskets

Are these the test kits I need?

o0xerog0o

I've browsed through the first few pages in this sub-forum, which has been very helpful, but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for... I know most people on here recommend the API test kits, which I'm glad to hear, seeing as how that's what I use to test my basic stuff (pH, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite), but now that I am wanting to get more into SPS, I'm looking for the right Ca and Alk test kits.

Are these the correct tests for me to invest in?

API KH Test

API Ca Test

If so, then I know my LFS has these available, and I'm sure the Ca one is right, I just wasn't sure about the one for Alk... Thanks

Those work fine. You will also want a Magnesium test kit. The only one I could find was the Salifert and its expensive as well as a PITA to test with but you will want to keep on top of your mag levels.

A tip on the Ca test kit. Don't count drop by drop for the first 15-17 drops from bottle 2. If your Ca is below 340 you have big problems and it shouldn't be getting that low in the first place.

Same with the Alk. If its below 7 again you have a problem and should have been on top of it.

Lastly you are going to want to get a two part dosing solution with a Mag supplement as well. For the first few weeks test daily your alk and Ca to see how much is being taken up by your SPS and from that you can derive how much you will need to dose and how often to keep things at 420 Ca and 8-9 Alk.

Thanks for the info... From what I understand, as long as I keep up with a regular water change schedule, I shouldn't have to worry about my levels getting too wacky, right? I mean, I'm still going to test for everything to be sure, but the water changes are one of the better ways to keep levels regular correct?

Those work fine. You will also want a Magnesium test kit. The only one I could find was the Salifert and its expensive as well as a PITA to test with but you will want to keep on top of your mag levels.

A tip on the Ca test kit. Don't count drop by drop for the first 15-17 drops from bottle 2. If your Ca is below 340 you have big problems and it shouldn't be getting that low in the first place.

Same with the Alk. If its below 7 again you have a problem and should have been on top of it.

Lastly you are going to want to get a two part dosing solution with a Mag supplement as well. For the first few weeks test daily your alk and Ca to see how much is being taken up by your SPS and from that you can derive how much you will need to dose and how often to keep things at 420 Ca and 8-9 Alk.

This is EXCELLENT advice. I reccomend www.bulkreefsupply.com for 2 part dosing supplies. If I were you, I'd just pick up their "Complete Package" to get you started. It comes with all the jugs and measuring cups you'll need plus enough material to make about 8 gallons each of the Ca and Alk supplement.

Also, check out www.2partcalculator.com to help you figure out how much you need to dose. As already mentioned when keeping SPS the big 3 are Mg, Ca, and Alk. You'll also need to keep a close eye on Phosphate. Exporting Phosphate and Nitrate are key to being successful. A good skimmer and some macro algae go a LONG way in helping out. I'd also look into getting a phosban reactor to fill with carbon and GFO.

I use ROX carbon which is really small. This is good because it has more surface area. Also, you can run it in the same reactor with the GFO. BRS has good deals on GFO and ROX carbon!

Ben

Water changes will not be enough to keep up with an SPS tank. Trust me. I am going through it right now. I have reached the tipping point in terms of SPS and keeping up by WC and am now playing the test twice a day and dose alk to get things stable while not shooting pH through the roof game. Its a real PITA.

After looking at my options which are kalk stirrer, Ca Reactor, two part dosing, etc. kalk stirrer appears to be the most economical and easy of them.

This is something you are going to want to think about down the road. To begin with I would start with two part then graduate to a kalk stirrer or Ca Reactor when you have things stable and know how much you are needing to put in.

Archived