Top Shelf Aquatics

Skimmer questions

shrimphombre

Im currently in the market for a skimmer for my 40BR tank and 20H sump. I'm going to fill this thing up with all types of corals, fish and anenome(s) so it will likely have a heavy bio-load. Right now im looking at a euro-reef RS80. Please tell me what you think, or which model of any type of skimmer I should get for this set up. I'm also looking for something relatively quiet. All input is appreciated.

Im currently in the market for a skimmer for my 40BR tank and 20H sump. I'm going to fill this thing up with all types of corals, fish and anenome(s) so it will likely have a heavy bio-load. Right now im looking at a euro-reef RS80. Please tell me what you think, or which model of any type of skimmer I should get for this set up. I'm also looking for something relatively quiet. All input is appreciated.

I think Bdare runs a Euroreef, you might check with him.

Thanks, i'll look at his build thread.... how do you like your modded CL super skimmer? Looks like your the only one that wants to reply to any of my threads lol :mellow:

Thanks, i'll look at his build thread.... how do you like your modded CL super skimmer? Looks like your the only one that wants to reply to any of my threads lol :mellow:

It seems to work well considering it's my first skimmer. Glenns pulls out some really nasty crap and you can get them used cheap. I think I paid $80 shipped modded out for mine.

Later on I would like to invest in a better one but it works for now.

Theres a used euro-reef RS80 in my area for 100, i think thats the best deal im going to come across considering they're about 250 new... It must be decent right? I just hope its not too loud

Theres a used euro-reef RS80 in my area for 100, i think thats the best deal im going to come across considering they're about 250 new... It must be decent right? I just hope its not too loud

Wish I had more advice. Ben is using a ReefOctopus not a euro-reef, for $80 you really can't go wrong.

From what I've read, the ER were good skimmers, but now are outdated. I REALLY like my octopus. I haven't done any of the mods and it still puts out. Never seen a side by side comparison....

Ben

From what I've read, the ER were good skimmers, but now are outdated. I REALLY like my octopus. I haven't done any of the mods and it still puts out. Never seen a side by side comparison....

Ben

Hi Ben,

Just for your info, ER skimmers have been copied now by everyone that realized that ER skimmer technology and design was and is the best. The owner of Octopus skimmers has copied every skimmer ever made in the world...the key word is COPIED and now makes skimmer designs for whoever wants to give him money to produce a skimmer. He knows how to build but does not yet understand what makes a skimmer really efficient. We know because we have tested all his skimmers.

ER has been designing skimmers since 1998 and have made improvements were it makes sense...we understand every nuance of what makes an efficient skimmer.

In a couple of months ER will come out with yet another major improvement in impeller design which has shown that a Sedra KSP 3500 air intake can be DOUBLED...tests are on-going with other pumps such as Sicce, Eheim,Vortech, Resun etc.,so we can select the best for our new skimmers.

Do your self a favor and get an AIRFLOW METER so you can once and for all find out which skimmer design pulls in the most air and smallest bubbles for the least amount of Watts and money. These parameters and proper body design will produce the most efficient skimmers.

Realize also that just about every skimmer on the market will produce skim mate to some degree...the real question is how fast can the skimmer remove the waste products...lots of air and very small bubbles is the major requirement. The Germans make great efficient skimmers if you can afford to buy them and do not count on support and parts availability.

Regards ;)

I run an rs80 on my 20 long. Love it...except for the fact that it's big. Takes up most of my little sump. If you can pick one up for 100 bucks, I'd grab it. The pump is quite, the only thing that makes any noise on mine is the water flowing out of the standpipe, but that's just because I need to get in there and tweak it a little bit.

As far as skimmate, it pulls out some nasty, dark (cause I'm skimming pretty dry), smelly nog.

the RS80 is a great skimmer for smaller tanks like yours. probably one of the better 4-5" body size needle wheel skimmers. the stock (euro reef modified) sedra 3500 and venturi/intake is a good cut above what everybody else puts on needle wheels skimmers that size.

Archived