Top Shelf Aquatics

Nano Filtration Question

jasontatro

Greetings all. I am very new to the nano hobby and I have some questions bout my tank setup.

I have read and re-read Chris' articles on tank setup and man are they helpful. One question that I still have is this:

I notice that almost every members setup has some form of H.O.T filtration system. Are these being used without media, and just for circulation? Chris suggests using just a powerhead. Am I missing something in the discussion?

Thanks for all the help. Reading all of these posts is very educational. My lights are on their way and I hope to get up and cycling by next week. WIsh me luck.

Jason

gives an option for either just circulation or to add some chemical filtration in there too. chemical filtration isn't necessary in a reef system, but some people still swear by using it either some of the time or non-stop. I've always favored 'Chemi-Pure'.

HTH,

Joel:happy:

Hang on filtration is your choice. Some people use it, some don't. Some use it for water flow only, some use media to "polish" the water, some even use larger power filters as refugiums!

Chris is correct - the fact that he (and many other reefers) has successful tanks without hang-ons or skimmers proves it isn't needed. Read all you can on the benefits/drawbacks of skimming & filtration. It's fascinating. Then you'll be able to decide what's best for you.

*geez, I'm starting to sound like my dad*

Ross

Thanks for the replies. I have an extra Penguin that is just sittin around so I might as well just use it for water flow.

Thanks again.

Archived