Coral Vue Hydros

dismantle 55w all-glass hood...

leaky

I have 2 all glass hoods. One is a single 55 watt pc, and the other is 2 55 watt pc's. my idea is to dismantle them both, put all three in one custom hood which is already built to house them. This would mean there would be 2 ballasts. One for the single and one for the other 2.  I would have the single 55 watt as an actinic, and for the other I would have one daylight and one 50/50. That way there would be equall amounts of actinic and daylights(1 1/2 actinic, 1 1/2 daylight). This way I could put both ballasts through seperate timers.. the daylight and the 50/50 would go off early and come on late and the actinic would be on early and go off late for that cool viewing at night and to simulate sunrise and set in a wierd kinda way i guess..... Now my question. Is that too much light for a 10 gallon? and if it is would it be possible to attach a timer to one of the lights between the ballast and the endcap so the one light would go off before the other and come on later?? if this is possible where would I get one of these timers?  I really hope this is not confusing.... ugh  

so in short I would end up with on ballast with 2 lights, one light having a timer between the ballast and the endcap, the other light would be controlled when the normal(factory) switch is turned off/on(ballast is shut off/on).

whew.....

you cant really have too much lighgt. you would be able to keep sps and clams and other things you would havce to acclimate to the amount of light. however with this lighting i do see a possible overheating problem which can be taken care of with small fans. that is all you will need and you should be fine. good luck.

yeah you cant have too much light. i m trying to understand your question about the timmer. you want one of the bulb to go off while the other 2 stay on? if so then just put the timmer on the single ballast and have the dual ballast just plugged in.

WEll I have installed them all.....   anyways, the question was that if it was tooo much light i would take the single light out, so now i am left with 1 ballast and 2 pc's. I wanted to know about timing those 2 pc's seperately from one ballast....

Nishant3789

I think what shes talking about is a ballast that is actually two but comes in one box. SLOs right, all lights need to have their own ballast... I think i understand waht ure saying with the lighting just make sure u dont put too nay hours of light on id reccomend at most 12 hours a day of light. and if u want a night time bveiwing light get a 13 watt PC with a red bulb. hth

nishant

Archived