Innovative Marine Aquariums

12 Gallon Eclipse or JBJ Nano Cube

rayd8s

Which tank do you all think is best?

I like the look of JBJ's Nano Cube but will definately be doing some lighting upgrades and wonder if it's a problem with the Cube.

I want to upgrade my current 5 gal to the 12 gal. I have 20 lbs LS, around 15 lbs LR with a few feather dusters. I also have a small powerhead in case extra flow is needed in the new 12 gallon.

My hopes are to keep zoo's, shrooms, some cleaner critters and a clown and a green chromis.

Let me know your opinions - and does anyone know where to get the cube online? My LFS's don't carry them.

I'm using an eclipse 12. It's a nice tank, but the lighting needs to be upgraded, as with all tanks.

Looking at the Nano Cube it's basically the same deal except you can remove the filtration unit from the eclipse, and the eclipse is longer. And with any reef tank you don't need all that filtration if you use a good skimmer, LR, and LS. Some will say you don't need a skimmer, and that works for them, but I belive in them and wouldn't be without IMO.

So they both have theri pros/cons it's up to you. though getting a skimmer on the back of the Nano Cube will be challenging. Plus the sponge filter in the Nano Cube is just a Nitrate magnet. I'm sure you can remove the sponge, and I would. JMO though

Peace

Edge

G Han -- thanks for the links. I have looked through them, as well as the dealers. So far, none of the online stores are offering the tank, only JBJ lighting systems. Where did you get your nanocube? Got any pictures?

Edge - Thanks. Nice website -- I like your tank. You planning on any corals? Have you upgrading the lights on the eclipse? If so, what did you get and where.

technoshaman

I was looking at the JBJ thing again today in the store - you might be able to fit a tiny piccoloskimmer back there but the hood is sealed completely when the lid is down so retrofitting it would be ugly is my guess.

The stock 24 watts is what gets me - If I could find a good way to get it up to about 50 watts at least I'd buy one - currently have 96 watts over my 7 gallon zooanthind tank and I'm thinking going down that much intensity will make them lose a lot of the nice colors.

well...if you really wanted to cut into the back you could. The back has 2 vents in it...you could cut out that whole section and hang something back there. The back of the hood that is

The hood seems to have a little space inside for some additional light, and I won't be shocked in some crazy scheme to turn a profit ;) that JBJ comes out with some add-ons...such as lights and such for the tank. If they dont it will shock me, I am certain they have people giving them feedback as to how to improve...but I think you could add some light in there, the hood has the potential for it from what I have seen. I am thinking of leaving mine alone though just to keep it simple for me.

Here is a shot under the hood for those that have not seen it

fb732633.jpg

Archived