Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My take on the Vortech MP20.

glennr1978

First of all I would like to thank "StanD" for putting together the group buy, and for being so incredibly helpful to all of us that participated.

I've had my MP20 in my 40 breeder for less than 24 hours, but I can already tell it is an amazing piece of equipment. It's quiet, low profile, upgradeable, and very controllable. I've messed around with the customizable settings and it's very easy to adjust the flow rate and intervals between pulses. However, like most everyone else that has one of these I prefer the stock "reef crest random" mode.

The only drawback I see at this point is that even at 100%, and 2000gph, it may not move quite enough water for an SPS dominant 36" long tank. The MP20 would likely be completely adequate for an LPS / softie reef tank of up to the recommended 70g.

I'm going to give it atleast a week or so to see how my corals respond to the new pump, but will probably be upgrading to an MP40w in the very near future.

All in all, this is a great pump and I'm glad I got it for such a low price. Thanks again Stan!!!

Hmmm, I'm starting to get interested in this.

How much was the cost for this through the group buy?

I might be interested in getting your current one when you upgrade.

Hmmm, I'm starting to get interested in this.

How much was the cost for this through the group buy?

I might be interested in getting your current one when you upgrade.

What size tank would you be using it in?

I guess since the GB is over it's okay to post prices now??? $265 shipped!!!

Sorry, I won't be selling mine. You just buy the MP40w driver to complete the upgrade. I'm pretty sure that's how it works anyway. I suppose the MP40w's driver just increases the power to the pump motor. Thus increasing the max flow rate up to 3000gph.

I almost got one too.....but the size is what killed it for me. Honestly though if it was for anything bigger then like a 20g you should just get the mp40w

I almost got one too.....but the size is what killed it for me. Honestly though if it was for anything bigger then like a 20g you should just get the mp40w

I'd have to disagree. I don't think it's necessarily the size of the tank that is the issue, but the length of it. I just don't get the wave in my tank like everyone else is getting in their 20" -24" wide tanks.

I can see this pump being plenty strong enough for a 30g SPS tank no problem. In fact, it's probably borderline strong enough in my tank, but I really prefer ALOT of flow so that's why I'm probably going to upgrade to the 40.

If it won't produce a wave in your tank then you are not getting the full effect......either pump is too small or tank is too big.

That's kinda my point. However, I already can see much better PE from all of my lower flow SPS. And the higher flow loving SPS look the same as they always do! It's really to early to tell just how effective this thing is going to be for me. I've got a busy day today, but I will get a video up soon.

It's really preferance and aquascape. In my 40 with the combination of my return flows it is too much flow on full power for a mixed reef. It kicks up sand and my torches are not responding well. I have mine running at 3/4 power in crest mode and it's about perfect flow with my return flow.

It's really preferance and aquascape. In my 40 with the combination of my return flows it is too much flow on full power for a mixed reef. It kicks up sand and my torches are not responding well. I have mine running at 3/4 power in crest mode and it's about perfect flow with my return flow.

Very true, my tank is full of Lr that really blocks alot of potential flow. Can you get the wave in your tank?

I looked at this in the MD cataloge and had the "I wants" right away....until I saw the price. But with a group buy and discount it's more reasonable.

How did you arrange the group buy? Thru NR or a group in your area? And is it overkill in a 30 gallon?

I looked at this in the MD cataloge and had the "I wants" right away....until I saw the price. But with a group buy and discount it's more reasonable.

How did you arrange the group buy? Thru NR or a group in your area? And is it overkill in a 30 gallon?

StanD organized the group buy check the thread in the equipment for sale forum.

It is adjustable so it can be tuned for your liking.

Glen,

To be honest I never played around with pulse mode. After about 5 minutes of trying to adjsut the pulse to get the wave i said forget it and put it in reef crest mode and never looked back. It does seem it would be tuff in the standard wide tanks to get a wave rather then the solona-cube tanks. Im sure those guys dont leave it on pulse mode its mainly just for the coolness factor. Then after you get over that its to crest mode they go.

Glen,

To be honest I never played around with pulse mode. After about 5 minutes of trying to adjsut the pulse to get the wave i said forget it and put it in reef crest mode and never looked back. It does seem it would be tuff in the standard wide tanks to get a wave rather then the solona-cube tanks. Im sure those guys dont leave it on pulse mode its mainly just for the coolness factor. Then after you get over that its to crest mode they go.

Yep, found it after posting this. Hopefully there will be another group buy! Lets hear some more reviews!!

Shoot Me_I Explode

I also bought an mp20 from the group buy for my 40 breeder which is about two months from being set up. After reading your post I'm thinking if I should just go ahead and save for another mp20 probally during the next group buy then upgradeing this one to an mp40w. I'm thinking two mp20's would provide a lot more cross-current and random flow then one mp40w. Time to start saving again.

Similar experience here. I bought an MP20 through the group buy for my 30 long (Still a 36" long tank just narrower than your 40B).

Though reefcrest and lagoon mode would be cool to use, I cannot use them for the following reason. Due to the length of the tank, if I am going to get water movement throughout the whole 36" the pump has to be set to max and will blow the polyps off any coral in the pumps path, which eats up a good chunk of usable real estate. If I turn it down, then I do not get any flow on the other end of the tank past my midline overflow.

The pumps saving grace is that I can get a small (.75"-1") standing wave. This moves water back and forth throughout the entire tank. I have a green staghorn about 30" away from the pump (opposite end of the tank) and its polyps happily sway back and forth in the 'breeze'.

I also run a koralia on the opposite wall to keep the surface / sandbed agitated.

If you want me to go through what I did to get the wave, toss a reply here.

Ill post a FTS when I get home so you can see my rockwork. Its pretty much a wall.

Adam

Glen,

I agree, a wave would clearly be functional, but I doubt it's actually necessary. I'm into my second full day with the vortech and ALL of my corals seem to really approve of the new adjustment. I may not be upgrading to an MP40w just yet.

If you want me to go through what I did to get the wave, toss a reply here.

Adam

replied!!!!

I also bought an mp20 from the group buy for my 40 breeder which is about two months from being set up. After reading your post I'm thinking if I should just go ahead and save for another mp20 probally during the next group buy then upgradeing this one to an mp40w. I'm thinking two mp20's would provide a lot more cross-current and random flow then one mp40w. Time to start saving again.

two of these things in a 40 breeder would be amazing!!.........and expensive.

The only problem with having two MP20s would be that they could not communicate with each other, so you could not have them work together to form a wave.

I agree that a wave may not be necessary but it was the only way I could get water movement throughout my entire tank with the mp20.

To get a wave started in my tank this is what I did:

First you want to place your pump close to the top of your tank, about 3ish inches from the water level. I also placed it more towards the front pane of glass so there was little in the pumps direct path.

Then switch to short pulse mode. I set the pump to maximum speed (with the short pulse necessary to create a wave, my pump never has enough time to spin to 2000 gph, I figured not limiting the rpm couldn't hurt). Then push set to change the pulse duration. Start with the quickest pulse, and slowly turn the dial. Wait a couple seconds and see if a wave is starting, and repeat. Once you see a wave, keep with the small adjustments and wait longer, maybe 10-20 seconds to see if the wave gets bigger. Eventually you will adjust past the resonant frequency of the tank and you will lose your wave. Step the nob back a bit and that is your sweet spot. You can then hold set to save the program.

Initially I had a bit of trouble getting a wave, this was fixed by moving my pump to where I previously mentioned. The pump location may or may not work in your tank.

Adam

Shoot Me_I Explode

I know, I'm on the fence between the aquacontroller jr. or another mp20. :huh:

The wave option is cool however I am concerned about their warning about tanks not being able to take the extra pressure being put on the joints from all the moving water. A 40breeder I'm talking about here. Also do you really need the pumps to communicate in such a small tank. On a much bigger tank i can see the advantages, however on such a small tank the only disadvantage I can see is having to activate feed mode on each controller insteed of just the one.

I know, I'm on the fence between the aquacontroller jr. or another mp20. :huh:

The wave option is cool however I am concerned about their warning about tanks not being able to take the extra pressure being put on the joints from all the moving water. A 40breeder I'm talking about here. Also do you really need the pumps to communicate in such a small tank. On a much bigger tank i can see the advantages, however on such a small tank the only disadvantage I can see is having to activate feed mode on each controller insteed of just the one.

If you aren't going to make a wave, I agree you do not need them to communicate.

Here is the FTS so you can see where I have the MP20 placed.

2837767520_9ccd18e3ff_b.jpg

Adam

We got out MP20 about two weeks ago to replace four Koralia 1's in our 40 gallon (24x24x18) tank. The corals absolutely love it and we've never seen polyp extension like this before!

I made a short video of our setup;

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've had the MP20 for a month now, and I'm completely happy with it. I was concerned that it may not have been strong enough for my tank, but I think that's just because I was so used to having 3500gph churning in my display. ALL of my corals have responded very well, and look great. I will likely still upgrade, but not for a long time. Once my corals really grow out I will probably need to move more water, but for now it's just fine :) .

Archived