Innovative Marine Aquariums

got questions on a new 10g

beefjerky402

beefjerky402

ok i got a new 10g tank setup last night. right now it 10 lb LS and 13 lb fiji LR and a HOB filter for circulation for the time being. i got a couple questions though.

1. do i need to add a fish or something to start the cycling process? i heard something about frozen shrimp? or should it be starting with just the LR and LS?

2. still saving up for the pc lights i want. probably 2x40 ones, but the 1x95 looks nice. though i wont be able to get those lights for a couple weeks. all i have right now is a NO light from an old freshwater tank. will this be enough to get me thru the cycling process? or do i even need the lights to cycle?

ELGORDOINAVW

you don't need a fish or frozen shrimp to cycle a tank the die off from the live rock should be more than enough to cycle your tank, as for lighting for a cycle you don't need anything special. good luck and before you invest money on lighting make sure that you know what you would like to keep.

Test the water, and you will notice the cycle kick in. It took several days before I noticed any ammonia even, and then it kicked in to high gear and cycled in about 2 more weeks. For reference I have 10g tank, 18 lbs of LR, 10 lbs of live sand....

Archived