Pod Your Reef

Has T-5 technology surpassed Mh yet?

dasstheboss

HecticDialectics
your kidding! yes they make MH, T5 and PCs with leds but they are moon leds and not powerful enough to provide a shimmering effect that MH does unless the primary lights are off (I dont just want dimmly lit shimmer).

You're wrong.

Wow, stanlalee, are you like a car salesman?! "You would do okay with T5s, but I can't make any promises for its performance. What you really want is a nice shimmer effect that can be found on MHs and LEDs. Who needs PAR when you've got shimmer!" :P

:lol:

Once they get the price down, the PAR up and prove to be reliable they could be the light of the future. So far though they fall short in all three categories (by they I mean the original solaris). higher par versions with better leds (than the standard solaris) are supposedly out or coming and hopefully the rest will fall in place in due time.

And again, you're wrong. I mean, wtf, you even admit that you're wrong, and didn't even check into how wrong you were.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're wrong.

I've had several flourescent fixtures with leds. Have you even seen metal halides in person?

Do I need provide you the reefkeepers article about how the original solaris PAR performed equal to that of a 20k 250w bulb (which is all they claim). If you knew anything about MH you would know typically a 14k 175w MH KILLS 90% of 250w 20k bulbs in PAR so the claim of PAR equal to a 250w MH is misleading. The Solaris PAR is equal to that of a middling performing 175w bulb. It can not compare to a average performing 250w 14k bulb OR T5s. Are you going to pay $2000-3500 for middling 175w MH performance? If you havent heard any of the reliability issues of the solaris you need not even go any further.

I knew I would

testing of the solaris (page 4 in the table of contents vs 20k XM 250w MH)

solaris testing

and here you can plug in 10-14k 175w bulbs vs 250w 20k bulbs on the same type ballast til your blue in the face

Sanjay MH testing

Wow, stanlalee, are you like a car salesman?! "You would do okay with T5s, but I can't make any promises for its performance. What you really want is a nice shimmer effect that can be found on MHs and LEDs. Who needs PAR when you've got shimmer!" :P

I dont have to sell PAR, if you are a PAR chaser you will STILL end up with a bunch of high wattage MH. you guys sell T5s on efficiency, I sell MH on looks. nobody should have to sell either on PAR but if they did its more so T5s people have to be convinced about not metal halides. three years ago 95% of you had pc lights and new nothing of T5s while MH's have been used regularly since the 90's. I havent YET talked down T5s or said there is any reason you shouldn't get them.

I do think you should actually LOOK at both a T5 aquarium and an MH aquarium in person. Nothing worse than to be sold on T5 for efficiency then to go over somebody's house with MH and wish you have got them (and vise versa you get sold on shimmer and see a T5 tank and realize you could care less about shimmer). All I'm poining out is LOOKS play a big role in what you do with your display tank. I'm not going to sacrafice looks for efficiency. If I though T5 looked better why on Gods earth would I not have them? they are cheaper in every way, both initial cost and long term.

fail.....

LOL. Ok when we talk about "looks" vs. efficiency what exactly are we talking about here?Ive had mh on previous tanks and yes shimmer is nice but honestly you forget about it after awhile. Its also particularly nice to a person whos never seen a reef aquarium before. But if were talking about "looks" in regard to growth and vibrant coloration of your corals. I dont see how shimmer can be a valid argument. Its purely aesthetics.It does nothing for your corals. So now if we are talking about efficiency T5's run cooler,last longer and are typically less expensive to purchase as well as maintain. Metal Halides have the advantage only if you have a deep tank(typically over 20 inches).

I just like all of the people who convinced themselves that the shimmer of mh is a headache. With that being said i am a metal halide fan. I had t-5sho 4x24s on icecaps.

with regards to lighting a large tank (anything that is 6' long+ and 20" wide+, 20"+tall) it becomes so much more expensive to start T-5s than metal halides if your planning SPS. If i were to put T-5s on my 150g the cost would be, $1200 for a VHO 12x39w Icecap retro. It cost me $750 for 3 lumen max minis, 3 250w coralvue ballasts, and 3 bulbs of my choice. Would that money be made up by saving in electricity and bulb cost ($180 for 3 MH, or $240 for T-5s every year)? no it wouldn't.

I as i said before in this thread, like both. I actually plan on getting another 2x24w retro to add to my current 2 and my 250w halide.

Are we going to have a war between MH-T-5HO-LED when leds become affordable?

Are we going to have a war between MH-T-5HO-LED when leds become affordable?

Yes, and the MH folks will inevitably find something to complain about LEDs. :wacko:

You all are wrong!

MH suxxorz. Shimmer suxxorz. heat suxxorz. high electric bill suxxorz

T5 suxxorz. No shimmer suxxorz. Bulb options suxxorz. different reflectors suxxorz.

POWER COMPACTS FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, some of you'all are taking this waaaay to seriously.

T5 vs. MH is the same as apples vs. oranges.

You all are wrong!

MH suxxorz. Shimmer suxxorz. heat suxxorz. high electric bill suxxorz

T5 suxxorz. No shimmer suxxorz. Bulb options suxxorz. different reflectors suxxorz.

POWER COMPACTS FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, some of you'all are taking this waaaay to seriously.

T5 vs. MH is the same as apples vs. oranges.

....Id say its more like oranges vs. tangerines

shimmer.jpg

I guess aquactinics think its rediculous too and went thru the trouble of doing all that to a perfectly good T5 fixture because the demand isn't there. its just me who demands shimmer

Hate to bring this thread back up (been off of NR for a few days) but Aquaactinics isn't the only company that's doing the high-powered LED equipped T5 fixture. Expect the others like Current-USA and such to follow suit soon too!

FI-DL-2424-descr.jpg

This is the Finnex 4x24w fixture. Even better than the Aquactinics by looking at the pics as the Finnex utilizes 9x1w LEDs in the "24 version, 15x1w in the "36 and 21x1w in the "48 version. How you like them apples? :lol:

Hectic, LEDs can indeed add shimmer to a tank with T5s or even PC (yes they do have to be like 1w+ LEDs) and it's nothing like MH shimmer, but it'll git 'er done for the shimmer anal crowd like Stanlee. omgomgomg

HecticDialectics
Hectic, LEDs can indeed add shimmer to a tank with T5s or even PC (yes they do have to be like 1w+ LEDs) and it's nothing like MH shimmer, but it'll git 'er done for the shimmer anal crowd like Stanlee. omgomgomg

No doubt they can. I meant to say that stanlee was wrong about it not working. I reckon my post could have said more than just "you're wrong" but I figured that was all stanlee deserved, given his absolute lack of research on products currently available. :D

No doubt they can. I meant to say that stanlee was wrong about it not working.

thats because you didn't read what I said. look at the two fixtures shown compared to typical moonlight leds.

dont forget those leds you'd add although low powered leds dont add shimmer when run at the same time as a high intensity power source like T5s

Archived