Innovative Marine Aquariums

I need detailed instructions on how to

lizbeth

I have a float switch from mcmastercarr. I  have an extension cord. What kind of pump do I need? And how do I put it together? Pictures would help.

Remember, keep it clear and simple I'm a gurl. ;)

NanoReefer53

Here's how I did mine. Get the plastic piece that hangs onto the glass covering. Cut a small section of it and make a hole in it with a knife so the float switch can screw into it. Make another hole so that a airline connecter can snugly fit into it.

A float switch basically turns something on and off by completing the circuit. I got an extension cord and cut one of the 2 wires and attatched the wires from the float switch to it. From there, attatch the pump your using to the extension cord. After that, hang the float switch in, connect all tubing, put pump in sump, and let er rip.

Here's a pic of mine

autotopofffloat.jpg

(Edited by NanoReefer53 at 1:20 pm on June 30, 2002)

Vixyswillie
Quote: from lizbeth on 11:42 am on June 25, 2002[br]I have a float switch from mcmastercarr. I  have an extension cord. What kind of pump do I need? And how do I put it together? Pictures would help.

Remember, keep it clear and simple I'm a gurl. ;)

Well - this isn't simple, but it sure is elegant! :) Check out this link, then look under "What's New" for 6/6/02 and read the details of his auto top-off system. Very nicely done!

http://www.mistressreef.homestead.com/file...ico/bonzai.html

(Edited by Vixyswillie at 5:44 pm on June 25, 2002)

Nano reefer, so you plug the pump into the extension cord? What kind of pump do you use? On the float switchs is the contact point when the float hits the top? I've looked at the thing and can't figure it out.

Vixyswillie, that set up is nice! I wonder what one of those pumps cost?

for my top off I set up an IV drip to a water bottle...no pump so no need for another outlet...if anyone would like to see i can take a pic....it drips into HOB

scobri, I'd like to see picture of the drip system you have!

I see there is a thread in general discussions addressing this idea too.

doesnt seem too hard now. just gotta figure how i would have the top off as...i mean using a pump or a powerhead. or i was told that you can have an air pump, pump air into a closed container and the pumped air would push the water out into the tank.

NanoReefer53

I use a rio pump for my top-off. The cool thing is that there's this one attatchment that came with the powerhead that I was able to stick and airline into. This way, water dosen't flow so fast causing shock to the tank.

here ya go lizbeth...nothing fancy but it does the job for me plus no electricty needed....i just hooked up the IV drip tube to a water bottle....siliconed it in place so as not to leak....the white plastic piece in second pic controls the drip...and the tube drops into the HOB

bottle holds bout a qt or 2 I guess.....so every two or three days i need to refill it(only been set up for a few days now)....but i like the idea of adding the water in very slow doses instead of adding it all at once each day like i was doing before

hope this helps youdrip1.jpgdrip2.jpg

Nishant3789

yea but the hard thing about the iv is that u have to have it above the tank, not all of us can do that, with the float switch there are no worries

nishant

Vixyswillie
Quote: from scobri on 6:34 pm on June 25, 2002[br]for my top off I set up an IV drip to a water bottle...

Interesting idea, scobri. What do you have the drip rate set for?

quiksilver5768

I recently got a float switch from Cameron and was wondering where the contact points are...

I know that the little disc on the bottom of the switch is where the sensor is, so that it knows its too low. But where is the other sensor where it would shut off the pump when water gets high enough??

NanoReefer53

The sensor is actually inside of the cylinder. The float thingy on the outside has magnets. When then magnets inside the float get too low it pushes two connectors together and complete the circuit. When the water raises then float will rise up and the magnet will no longer push the connectors together and it'll stop pumping. The disc at the bottom is just to hold the float in. The switch point is actually a little bit higher. You'll have to experiment with it to figure the right spot.

Instead of an IV setup, I siphon water from a bottle into the tank. Just use airline tubing and tie a knot in it to set a slower drip rate. It sounds kind of stupid, but it has worked for me for quite a long time. I use standard size tubing, but my friend bought some larger (1") tubing for his regular reef tank. Just my thoughts... I don't work well with electrical stuff.

Archived