Pod Your Reef

DYI Lighting solution for eclipse 12?

Lotus

Hi, I'm new to the board, and to the world of Nano Reefs. The low expense is the reason I've chosen this as the avenue for a foray into the world of saltwater. I have 6 FW tanks now, and plan to convert my eclipse 12 into a nano-reef. I'm wondering how to handle the problem of lighting. I'd like to add corals down the line, and I know they need lots of watts. I'm planning on starting out in the next couple days by putting about 12-15lb of Fiji rock and 6lb of live sand. Any other suggestions on how to get this started?

welcome to nano-reef.com

dont think because it is a nano it will be cheep it is cheeper than a big reef.

i think you can retro fit a 32 watt pc in there with out a problem.

I am 14 weeks into my Eclispe 12 tank.

I have found a retro kit called SuperNova at http://www.customsealife.com/.  I spoke with Ted there.

I decided to try just using the built in lamp socket.  I picked up a 13 Watt 50/50 from

http://www.marinedepot.com/a_lt_pc_bulb.asp?CartId=

The tank has 10 lbs live sand, 26 lbs LR, 4 scarlet crabs, 1 pepperment shrimp, 1 Percula Clown, 6 speckled mushrooms, and I just added a Golden Crown.  

I am still waiting for the Golden Crown to open its polyps.  I think FedX was rough on it, it has been a couple days now it has not opened.  The base is moving slowly though.  Everyone else is doing well so far.

I will tell you, this little tank has but me back $360.00 so far.  But I have had a great time and look forward to converting my 80gal fresh to salt.

Robert

• 4 weeks later...

I am only 3 weeks into my Eclipse system 12.

I found a refit kit by CSL (Custom Sea Life) as rbinz did, but I did not know about the SuperNova when I got the regular 32w kit for Eclipse 3 hoods (different from the systems).

The regular 32w CSL refit kit does work in the system 12, though it mounts to one side of center a little.  I am having trouble keeping the heat down (still adding vent holes) even with the ballast on the floor near the tank, so be sure not to try with the ballast in the hood (though it will fit physically, mounting and heat will both be issues).

The SuperNova looks like it has a better seal than the regular  - and that interests me as I am nervous about shock (probably just my paranoia and unfamiliarity with things electrical), but the SuperNova does not look like it will mount as easily.  Anyone have direct experience with it?

I have 3 pounds of live sand on a 10 pound aggregate base, with 20 pounds of live Fiji rock arranged on that.  I took the biowheel out when I put in the rock - per recommendation of the local shop, and I have a Rio 90 for circulation (though I may add to that) and a VisiTherm(?) heater.

I agree with Daniel that nano-reef might not be very cost efficient - especially if you start with an Eclipse system 12 (beautiful, but not cheap).  I chose the system 12 as I wanted this nano to be seen from all sides and remain quite beautiful - and because I can afford a few luxuries.  There are cheaper alternatives if you can hide one side by placing your reef tank next to a wall.

I have heard that if you are careful with lower light needing corals, you might not have to change the light at all.  I changed mine out because I want some SPS and hard corals later.

you guys say you mounted a 32 watt retro into the ecipse 12. are you covering the bulb wth anything? or is it just exposed to the open? just curious because i may do this later in my eclipse12.

I have an eclipse 12 and am using the supernova 32w kit that I got from Chris.  It was installed in less than 5 minutes with just a couple of screw drivers (VERY EASY!).  I set it on my timer, and it's working perfectly.  The kit comes with a reflector, endcap, bulb, and ballast.  You don't need to worry about buying anything extra for this kit, because of the rubber endcap.  I think if you have the eclipse 12, you should make your life easy and go for the SuperNova.

Mine is also exposed - for about a month and also no problem - though I was very nervous about it at first.  The supernova Chris has sounds real nice as it has a rubber seal which is probably safer - though I am feeling more comfy now that mine has been up this long with no problems.

I continue to have issues with heat gain during the day, I basically have to remove the liftable part of the lid during the hours I have the light on  - which is a bigger opening than I really want.

• 1 month later...

I was told by a CSL rep to cover the bulbs because they WILL corrode and fail prematurely.  I bought a $7.00 piece of plexiglass at home depot and cut it to size creating a tank cover.  It acts as a great barrier between the light and the water.   I rinse off any salt buildup once a week to keep it clear. I also keep my tank plugged into a GFCI outlet just incase of mishap.  

I'm thinking of getting an Eclipse 12, too.   Where did you find this "Supernova" kit and how much was it?   I looked on CustomSeaLife, but I didn't see it.

• 2 weeks later...

Cover it, it will last a while without one, but corrosion will set in and a fire hazard it will be.  try wrapping the connection gap with a balloon. Then cover any spots where moisture could get in with electrical tape.  It has worked for me going on a year now.

• 2 months later...

The supernova kit is definately great.  there is no need for an acrlyic cover over the water because the end caps keep the fixture from rusting.  i had the supernova in my tank for about 3 weeks and decided to upgrade because i know its quite hard to keep corals very healthy in a nano without more than 4 watts per gallon.  

So when i found a buyer of my supernova retro i purchased the 2X32 light system from Custom Sea Life.  It just barely fits in my eclipse 12 hood after i  had to cut a little off the refector and i installed a 2x2 fan on the left side of the tank where there's a little shelf for the filter to keep the temp steady.  

i must say everything fits perfectly and my tempreture is not greatly effected even with all thoes watts and not having an air-conditioner.  My corals are showing great improvement and my Xenia is pumping like mad.  i really advise this set up if anyone is serious about keeping healthy corals in an eclipse 12.

Archived