inTank Media Baskets

Need some help

fawkes027

20gal tank is a little over a month old. Just added a pair of clowns and have noticed that my ammonia has come up to 0.5. I did a 15% water change last night and it's now down to 0.25. Is this just the tank adjusting to the fish and will it come down? I did another 15% tonight but it hasn't seemed to effect it. The fish seem okay. They are swimming and eating. They seem to be breathing a little fast (although I'm not sure that may be normal) but it's not like gasping. Can I do another water change or wait a day and see what happens?

are you over feeding the fish? I would use some ammo lock if it gets to bad.

I would try to do a one to two gallon water change every day until it gets to normal. Mix some saltwater in a 5g bucket and leave a powerhead and heater in it so you don't have to mix new water each night.

My tank has done this to me before, I used ammolock and did water changes until it was back to normal.

Your tank may not be mature enough to handle the bio load yet.

Are you using a deep sand bed? How much rock do you have in the tank?

Yes I have a DSB (3.5-4"). I also have 10lb LR and 7lb. base rock. It read zero 2 days ago when I added them. I'm wondering...I knocked a rock over and caused the sand to stir some. Could this have added to the climb as well?

I've already done 3gal tonight. I'm debating if I should do it again. My main concern is, will they be okay or will this kill them?

harbingerofthefish

I personally wouldn't do too many WC's to fast. No time for the parameterts to "settle"

After only a month your tank MAY not be in the place to handle the 2 fish. Having a DSB means nothing unless it has had time to mature and colonize with the no-see-ums that make a DSB a DSB.

Knocking the rock over and stirring the bed probally didn't do much at all. All fish do is eat and crap. could be all the "live" rock and sand isn't "live" enough to handle to crap.

how to solve this....?

I don't know. I do know that everything in the tank seems okay despite that reading. I have a few snails in there and they're busy chomping away and I thought they were more sensitive then clowns. Am I wrong?

Archived