inTank Media Baskets

Koralia on Timer

GioReef

I would like to put my koralia nano on a timer so that it turns on at day and shuts off at night. I would like to do this cuz i think that when my corals close up at night they are getting way to much flow, esp ricordeas and shrooms. I would have the stock pump in the filter all night long on and then the koralia would turn on in the day. Is this a good idea? I know the koralias dont work on a wavemaker but this would be shutting it off for about 8 hours or so and then turning it back on. Or i will just take out the koralia completely cuz i still cannot find a good spot to put the softies were they get low flow. Right now my tank has about 30X turnover, imho thats too much.

Any comments/opinions are welcome. :)

The reason the Korallia's don't work on a timer is because each time they start up they are just as likely to run backwards as forwards. A small stop is put in so that when it runs backwards the prop will hit the stop and cause it to run the right direction. Having it hit that stop repeatedly will cause the prop to break. You'd get the same effect with it on a timer, just over a longer period, so it might not matter so much.

Thing is, if the corals are closed at night, that's when they are smallest and not as affected by current. When they are opened all up they are getting the most effect.

In my 10, I've got a Maxijet 1200 for return and a Mag 5 on a closed loop and they run constantly. The three sarco's and zoanthids don't seem to mind. I do have them in an area where they get the least flow but it's still pretty substantial.

I know some multitimers have a nightime setting that's "gentler" than the daytime.

Bottom line is, IMO it's okay to put the Korallia on the daily timer, but I'm not sure it'll have the results you are looking for.

kmitch, what's the "airline tubing mod"?

No unless you use the front cover that nobody uses. Snails and other critters can and will climb into the pump when it is off. Then when it turns on, problems. If you use the front cover it screws up the water flow pattern making paying more for the Koralia worthless. Use a Maxijet if you want it on a timer.

i have 3 k1s hooked up to my ac jr. seems to work fine for about 3 months now. only problem i have is that one doesn't turn on sometimes because the pumps suck so little power they have to be connected to the relay controlled dc8 outlets.

have you tried redirecting your koralia so that it points a little more towards the surface and not towards glass or the sandbed? that might solve your issue

I have tryed everything. Thanks for your help tho. I tryed every angle,side and direction. Right now i have it set that it flows towards the other outlet. Its doing pretty well but the lower part of the tank is super flow zone and that is where i have my rics... maybe its just my rockwork???

I have two K2s connected to timer that alternates flow every 30 seconds for 2 months no problems...I'm trying to figure out the basis for the comment

"The reason the Korallia's don't work on a timer is because each time they start up they are just as likely to run backwards as forwards"

I have two K2s connected to timer that alternates flow every 30 seconds for 2 months no problems...I'm trying to figure out the basis for the comment

"The reason the Korallia's don't work on a timer is because each time they start up they are just as likely to run backwards as forwards"

I have 2 nanos on a timer. (alternate every 90 sec)for 3 months so far. Waiting to see how long they last

I have 2 nanos on a timer. (alternate every 90 sec)for 3 months so far. Waiting to see how long they last

my koralia also sometimes (actually most of the times) do not start again when turned on. I have to turn the switch on my powerstrip on and off several times before it will start. Sometimes, even that does not work and I have to poke the propeller to turn it a little before it will start. I think depending on the position when the properller stopped, the alternating current polarity will not cause the motor to start turning. I thought maybe it was just my K that has the problem, but now I read this, it seems like it is a design problem with the Ks.

• 2 weeks later...
No unless you use the front cover that nobody uses. Snails and other critters can and will climb into the pump when it is off. Then when it turns on, problems. If you use the front cover it screws up the water flow pattern making paying more for the Koralia worthless. Use a Maxijet if you want it on a timer.

wow, I didn't even think about that. I see them on the pumps cage from time to time, but didnt think abotu them crawling inside!!

I've been running mine on a timer for a while now. I think I'll plug it back into the constant power.

my koralia also sometimes (actually most of the times) do not start again when turned on. I have to turn the switch on my powerstrip on and off several times before it will start. Sometimes, even that does not work and I have to poke the propeller to turn it a little before it will start. I think depending on the position when the properller stopped, the alternating current polarity will not cause the motor to start turning. I thought maybe it was just my K that has the problem, but now I read this, it seems like it is a design problem with the Ks.

mine is exactly the same, everytime it is turned off I need to poke it a few times to get it to turn back on. :angry:

Koralia + timer = burned out koralia.

Mine has to be poked to get it going about a third of the time when I turn it off.

Somebody else said earlier, and I agree, Maxi-Jets are a much better choice for a powerhead that starts reliably when power is cycled.

Archived