inTank Media Baskets

Did I waste my money?

Egkid

OK I started my 29 gallon tank with the intentions of keeping it a fowlr but plans quickly changed when I got a light fixture. Anyway I have the API Saltwater Master Test Kit to test the basics (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates), I kinda bought the API Reef Master Test Kit on impulse and I'm now debating whether or not I should have. Right now I have a small colony of zoanthids and GSP's and will probably only end up with soft corals and a few LPS. So do I even need this kit, it test for calcium, carbonate hardness, phosphate, and nitrate.

I wouldn't say you wasted money. It is good to keep an eye on Cal and Alk, especially if you want good Coraline growth. If you are not using RO/DI water or have an algae out break the phosphate kit will come in handy. Honestly I don't test for anything once the tank is established and running well unless I notice something not looking right.

I wouldn't say you wasted money. It is good to keep an eye on Cal and Alk, especially if you want good Coraline growth. If you are not using RO/DI water or have an algae out break the phosphate kit will come in handy. Honestly I don't test for anything once the tank is established and running well unless I notice something not looking right.

I thought I was a horrible reefer because I rarely test my water anymore. My corals and any irregularities in the look of the tank are my signs of something not going right, then I will test. Otherwise I hardly take out the test kits unless I am changing something big on my tank and I need to monitor levels. The key in my doing is that I maintain my maintenance and it's a very established tank.

... will probably only end up with soft corals and a few LPS. ...

Yeah, we all said that, too, once upon a time.

My tank is fairly new I started it on July 25th so I'm still testing at least once a week and after I add anything to the tank just to make sure everything is stable. I have the usual diatom bloom with new tanks but I'm also getting some greenish algea on the glass, I think it partly has to do with me initially filling the tank with tap water before I new any better, I'm now doing water changes with RO water though. I haven't opened the kit yet beacuse I'm debating whether or not to take it back but then again I'm curious as to how high my phophates are.

Yeah, we all said that, too, once upon a time.

For now at least, I'm pretty sure I'm restricted since I only have 4x24 T5HO's, anyway thats a whole nother topic :D

Oh yea and thank you gentlemen and ladies for the advice/tips/opinions/support/help.

For now at least, I'm pretty sure I'm restricted since I only have 4x24 T5HO's, anyway thats a whole nother topic :D

Oh yea and thank you gentlemen and ladies for the advice/tips/opinions/support/help.

No, no.....

They are talking about your next tank.

Trust us, its gonna happen.

:lol:

And as the others have said, a good investment for the few extra bucks.

Good luck with your tank. ( and your future upgrade ) :D

If I were to start over again, the water test kits I would buy is the saltwater kit AND the master reef kit from API. That is all you need to cycle and later testing for maintenance. It is a lot cheaper then buying the tests individually.

keep the reef kit. I noticed the price has gone up recently, it used to be $25 at petsmart, but is now $33. they last for two years (one year at least for sure).

Archived