SaltCritters.com

skimmer or uv?

dangermouse0

Right then I think I want to spend some more cash on my d&d 24g nano-cube and decided i really want to improve my filtration now i have LPS & SPS. Most of my params are ok but i’m struggling to keep my nitrates at 5. I have to constantly clean glass under my 150w mh lamp as well. I have to say i really don’t know much about this area so am after a bit of advice.

I think i’d have to go for the hang-on route as my 3 rear chambers are full with (1) filters, (2) heater and powerhead and (3) Carbon, temp probe & 2nd powerhead.

For a general ‘cleanup’ should I go down the skimmer or uv route? If so which ones are best?

Sorry if i’m asking too much but after looking at various forums i’m still unsure about the best option...

Ta – DM :)

P.S. The tank is 20months old.

Well what are your parameters? Are you using RO/Di water? Are you mixing your own saltwater? Which salt are you using. Are you testing for phosphates? You say chamber 1 is "filters"... what do you mean? Sponges, floss, etc. How often do you clean the "filters"? What kind of corals/fish are you housing?

A skimmer is going to do more of what you are looking for I think. A UV filter is going to destroy things like algae, bacteria, viruses etc from the water column. A skimmer is going to remove organic matter from the water column. You may be able to rely on water changes only and may not even need either of these things. How often are you doing your water changes and how many gallons of water are you changing out?

Jesse

Blimey thats a fast reply!!!

To answer your questions i'm doing a 10% - 15% water change EVERY week, I've got 2x floss 'squares' in chamber 1 that i clean alternately with the water change and replace both every month.

All my params are actually perfect bar the Nitrate which at best is 5. (nh4 & ph4 are 0).

Lately i've started adding a few more corals, sun coral, rics x2 (lovely!!), favia and a maxima clam. I must admit i've started feeding with 5mls of DT's plankton twice a week. I've only got 2x clowns and a blue reef chromis (and CUC) at the mo due to my firefish's successful suicide attempt. They've been in for the past nine months.

I've started getting a bit of green hair algae and i'm having to clean my glass every day.

As i say i dont really know what i want but i feel i've put a bit of a load in recently. It sounds like a skimmer is what need really.

As reefman stated, using a uv sterilizer is going to kill things that you don't want it to be killing. They are usually better suited for ponds. Its possible that the test kit that you are using might be showing that you have 5ppm while you are actually at 0, just depends on the sensitivity of the test kit. A skimmer, in my opinion, would be the best choice. Sounds like your doing your weekly husbandry and would be the next logical step if you wanted to. However, some people debate if you actually really need a skimmer in a nano but thats another thread.

What test kit are you using? I used to have a test kit (red sea crap kit) that read 5ppm for nitrates. I got all stressed out about it. Then I switched to API test kits and haven't had a nitrate reading above 0 yet.

I use Salifert test kits. A mate has got a Sera Aqua one i think so i'll see what that says.

If i do get anything it sounds like its got to be a skimmer..

ta guys!

What test kit are you using? ...

Good question, but the GHA growth is a tell that the nitrates really are there - probably phosphates too.

The OP has also described a feeding regimen that will lead to that.

Like others have said, the skimmer is probably the better choice between the two. The OP might also consider a HOB fuge to grow some chaeto that can compete with the GHA for nutrients. I'm not sure between that and a skimmer which would be better.

-hank

Thanks for the info so far guys!

How much does chaeto really help? I've seen a guy on this forum with a soap dish fuge with it in.

Also could i put say the TMC v2 nano-skim (or any skimmer that fits) in chamber 1 and remove my filters altogether? Thus making my rear chambers:

1. skimmer

2. heater & powerhead

3. powerhead, carbon and rowaphos

No filters!! Hmm, sounds too good to be true to me.

Archived