Coral Vue Hydros

Designing a 20L reef

Piro

For this project, my priorities are simplicity and quality with reasonable cost. I have TONS of time, so I really want to set this up perfectly.

I plan on keeping softies and lps. For lighting, would T5 be sufficient?

I have a 29 with a 20L for a sump/fuge. That's it. I'm going to have the display drilled once I get a solid plan. I would like to have both holes drilled close together so I can hide the overflow and return piping.

The return pump would have to push water ~3&1/2 feet with one 90 degree elbow at the end. Recommendations for a pump?

I really want to go with natural filtration - the fewer devices and gadgets the better.

Any advice and opinions are welcomed!

Edit - After some thought and considerstions, I've decided that I like the size and shape of my 20L a lot better than the 29. So, I've decided to make the 20L the dispaly and the 29 the sump. I think I'll be fine keeping the same T5HO lighting, I plan to keep all of the same livestock as well. And, if I decide I want a bigger tank later on, the 29 sump will still be sufficient. Sorry for the changes in direction.

I never do this type of setup, with a sump and return pump, so I can't help you on that.

I am thinking of doing a 29g setup myself though, so I will be watching this.

I do think a T5 fixture would be fine, but I don't know enough about the different T5's to give you more specific advice on that.

The 24" aqualight comes with 14 w bulbs and the 24" nova comes with 24w bulbs...

If I bought the aqualight, could the 24w bulbs be used in the fixture? Or should I just play it safe and spring for the nova fixture?

i have a 29g w/ a 4x24w tek fixture about 5 inches from the water. it's more than plenty for softies and LPS. i get growth on my sps with it about 10 inches from the bulbs

The Aqualights are NO, not HO. Won't be any better than using PC's. Spring for the Nova, and get the 4 bulb version instead of messing around with two different fixtures.

Reason I say go with the 4 bulb is the potential banding of light with the individual fixtures. You could get a dark band in the middle of the tank from the separation of the bulbs. The 4 bulb will blend a lot better.

The Aqualights are NO, not HO. Won't be any better than using PC's. Spring for the Nova, and get the 4 bulb version instead of messing around with two different fixtures.

Reason I say go with the 4 bulb is the potential banding of light with the individual fixtures. You could get a dark band in the middle of the tank from the separation of the bulbs. The 4 bulb will blend a lot better.

Good stuff to take into account. I didn't think of these issues. Not enough experience on my part. Thanks

I love the looks of my 175watt mh retro. Bought it used for $135 shipped. It is about 8-10 inches off the water in a tall canopy and I am getting good growth on the sps frags that I have.

If you are set on T-5 I would definetly go with one unit as opposed to two. You should be looking for a 30" fixture, not a 24". It will make your life a lot easier.

As for your plumbing, I wouldn't have a clue as I have never done any overflows before.

BustytheSnowMaam

I have the Aquactinics T-5 (5 bulbs) on my 30. Ken at OceanReeflections.com is very helpful about advising which bulbs to purchase (both brand and spectrum), very good at returning emails and accepting returns if there's a problem, and he will beat anyone else's price. I think I have 4 different kinds of bulbs in my fixture and the combination really makes the colors pop.

I have the Aquactinics T-5 (5 bulbs) on my 30. Ken at OceanReeflections.com is very helpful about advising which bulbs to purchase (both brand and spectrum), very good at returning emails and accepting returns if there's a problem, and he will beat anyone else's price. I think I have 4 different kinds of bulbs in my fixture and the combination really makes the colors pop.

Awesome! Thanks for the contact, I'll be sure to check with Ken before I buy anything.

If you are set on T-5 I would definetly go with one unit as opposed to two. You should be looking for a 30" fixture, not a 24". It will make your life a lot easier.

I'm having a bit of a challenge finding a 30" fixture. It seems like no one is carrying the one from current... has it been discontinued?

Marine Depot has the 30" Sundial.

Ah thanks :)

Once I figure out which pump/powerhead I should get, this ship can set sail.

I just re-checked the site Tashayar suggested, and they have sundials as well, I must've overlooked them.

After some thought and considerstions, I've decided that I like the size and shape of my 20L a lot better than the 29. So, I've decided to make the 20L the dispaly and the 29 the sump. I think I'll be fine keeping the same T5HO lighting, I plan to keep all of the same livestock as well. And, if I decide I want a bigger tank later on, the 29 sump will still be sufficient. Sorry for the changes in direction, but I think I will be hapier with the 20L.

I've decided on T5HO lighting. The 30 inch Current USA SunDial T5 HO 4x24W w/ Timers & LED

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~cat...FILTFIT53U.html

I'm trying to figure out which pump to get next. I think I have it narrowed down to two:

Taam Rio+ 3100 Powerhead UL - 690gph @ 4ft

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~act...es~vendor~.html

or

Hydor SELTZ L40 Pump 740 gph @ 0 ft

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~act...es~vendor~.html

With a 20L display and a 29 sump, I figure I'll need 1000-1200 gph flow. I believe that one pump and a koralia nano or two will do the trick. What does everyone think?

I have a 29gal tank with a 20l sump lol. I use a 600gph overflow and a quietone 2200 as return pump. Setup works great. perfect flow through the fuge, keeps the cheato tubling... and some nice gph in the main tank from the return line. In the main tank i use one K1 and one nano... either sidee pointing up and towards the rock a bit, causes nice random flow throughout the tank...

As for lighting, i dont know much about t5's. i use an aqualight pro 150w with 2x 65w PC actinics and i get great coloring and growth.

Hope i cold be of some help... if you have any questions just PM me :)

I have a 29gal tank with a 20l sump lol. I use a 600gph overflow and a quietone 2200 as return pump. Setup works great. perfect flow through the fuge, keeps the cheato tubling... and some nice gph in the main tank from the return line. In the main tank i use one K1 and one nano... either sidee pointing up and towards the rock a bit, causes nice random flow throughout the tank...

As for lighting, i dont know much about t5's. i use an aqualight pro 150w with 2x 65w PC actinics and i get great coloring and growth.

Hope i cold be of some help... if you have any questions just PM me :)

thanks for the info, but unfortunately, I'm going to have to put this project on hold. I can't justify starting something like this when I know for a fact that I will be moving in 8 months. I'm just going to get all the info and get all my ducks in a row so when I finally get settled in to my new home, I can rock and roll on this project.

However, I still have the itch to start a new tank, so I will be settng up a 10g AIO for the house. :)

I'll keep this thread bookmarked and will still be asking questions.

Thanks,

Brian

Archived