Cultivated Reef

refugium

JGoslee

I just finished my refugium.It's a 7gal clear rubber container(16in high,12inlong,6in wide) on a 10gal tank.The refugium sits next to the tank and it is taller than the 10gal.Water is pumped in using a powerhead and gravity fed back to the main tank.The water going back to the tank is very noisey and causes alot of bubbles.I tried feeding the water straight in to my hang on filter and that stopped the bubbles but it is still very noisey.Anyone know of a way to silence the outlet?

quiksilver5768

I put the retrn tube into my HOB filter. If you put it half in/half out or totally submerged in the HOB it will make a lot of noice. Sort of like a gurguling noice. I stoped this by putting it just a little bit above the floss in my filter and put more floss around the exposed area of the tube so any wtaer that comes down flows directly into the floss without a splash onto the water since the end of the tube is covered in it. I found that this stops it from putting bubbles in the tank and making that noise. If you dont cover the whole end of the return tube openeing then bubles will come out and pop out in the open air which will lead to A LOT salt creep...

quiksilver5768

Floss is that big bag of what looks like cotton at your LFS. Its like 2 bucks for a bag and those last you a while. Its one of the best filter media out there. I find it easier, cheaper, and better to use than a sponge...

I think I solved my problem.I ran the outlet in to the wall of the filter under the water level.It's alot less noisey.Thanks for all the help Quik.

quiksilver5768

No problem...but i got a question. Your water is gravity flowing into your HOB filter under the water level? Isnt it causing a lot of pressure? When i did that it cause pressure and the level in my refugium would always vary and keep getting higher until it had enough force to push thorugh. It was kind of like an uneven surge. So i got worried and did what i explained before. Tell me how it works out. Later

The water level in the fuge kept increasing and decreasing until it stabilized just beneath the outlet.It worked out really well because now there is no slurping noise.The water moves really slow thru the whole system.I am using a rio 50 to put water in to the fuge.The inlet and outlet are 1/2 inch.

• 1 month later...

Archived