inTank Media Baskets

light in the fuge/sump?

audi206rs4

i have some live rock rubble and live sand in my 2.5 refugium/sump and planning to put a couple forms of micro algae in it when the tank is finished cycling.

two questions...

1). what are some good micro algae/caulerpa to use?

2). should i leave the light on 24/7 or cycle it with my tanks lighting schedule?

thanks, any help would be great!

hai

You should be fine with your sans bed. A little more won't hurt it nor would it increase the benefit greatly. Between the LR and sand you should be fine depending upon how much LR you also have.

As for macroalgae, go with what's available to you. Or grab some out of your tank if you have some, drop it into the 'fuge and let it go from there. The macro in the 'fuge pulls the nutrients it needs to grow thereby reducing the growth in the tank where it is unwanted.

The lights are your option. Some run 24/7 to spur macro growth, etc. Others time it to come on when the tank lights go out. Personally I'm setting mine up to come on when the tank lights go out. If need be I'll switch to a 24/7 for awhile to see what happens.

Experiment d00d! That's half the fun!

I would use some chaetomorpha (spaghetti algae) if you can get your hands on some. It doesnt go sexual like some of the others and it can survive under low light PC's. But if there isnt enough nutrients in the water it wont survive too well.

Archived