Pod Your Reef

Filter for 20 Long

JustReef

I'm setting up a cheapo frag tank and am using a 20L I got for free. I have an AC20 to put on it, but was thinking of picking up something bigger. Will the AC20 work or do I need something bigger. I also plan on adding a skimmer and maybe 2 Koralias for flow.

I was looking at the AC70 and that thing just seems massive for this tank.

get a sump. you will not regret it. a 10g is only like 10 bucks and will allow you to get a in sump skimmer (i think the tunze 9002 would be a great option for you) and hide your equipment. like i said, you will not regret it.

But kinda defeats the point of it being a cheapo frag tank.

Run as big of an AC as you can fit. AC70 at a minimum. The Taam Rio Skimmer is pretty good for a tank that size. The Tunze is also good, but considerably more expensive.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to go with the AC70. I was also looking at the Rio skimmer. I'm glad you suggested it, Evil.

I would love to do a sump, but a 10g, pump, and overflow would blow my budget for this project. I'll probably do it in the future when I make a few bucks on frags.

But kinda defeats the point of it being a cheapo frag tank.

Run as big of an AC as you can fit. AC70 at a minimum. The Taam Rio Skimmer is pretty good for a tank that size. The Tunze is also good, but considerably more expensive.

+1 to the Rio Skimmer for a budget tank...it's like $20 or something right???

I also agree on the AC70 :D

-David

I own a Taam Rio Skimmer

Its now back in its box.

For a cheapskate reefer skimmer, it started out pretty good. A little tough to dial in. I could not get a dry foam so I skimmed wet. Other than extending the air intake to make priming easier, I didnt mod it. Dont think its possible to overflow.

Mine was exremely sensative to tank water level. a 1/4" drop was enough for it to loose prime. Now the motor lost its Ummph. it will still draw water, just not for long.

I (still) dont have a ATO so if you get this skimmer, I reccommend a ATO. I suspect that if I had a ATO, the Rio would probably still be working.

Anyhow, just my thoughts on the Rio.

As for the Aquaclear. Do you intend it for filtration? or mod for 'fuge?

For just filtration the AC20 you already have may work. A AC50 would be better. Since this is a budget build, I would stick with what you have and upgrade if needed.

For a 'fuge, then a AC50 or bigger.

i see your sump hestitation. not to beat a dead horse but consider:

- 10 g tank = about $10

- 300g pump = about 10-20 bucks used or 30+ new

- overflow = can be made out of pvc (toilet style, check out iroc/roc's old 29g thread if it's still up) = $5

ac70 = about $40

if you still go the HOB route, definitely get the ac 70. you'll want a fuge and the added flow. if it is too strong, you can always dial down.

Archived