Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Crushed Coral?

k_helton

Im not sure if this is a silly question or not...

1. Will crushed coral sustain life like live sand.

2. Will micro-biological life occur in the crushed coral during cycling.

Well, the big issue w/ crushed coral, and this depends really on how large it is, is that it allows a lot more water flow through it and therefore it's not effiecient at all with nitrate reduction and anaerobic bacteria growth.

It will sustain life but would be better IMO to A) go with all smaller grain sands or B ) mix it with some smaller grain sand to make the sand bed more dense.

Cameron

I dont know........I think the bigger issue is the fact that it traps food particles and becomes a huge pain in the @ss.

Definitely use the smaller grain sand as physh suggested. Youll regret using CC. Trust me I made that mistake on my 55 when I first set it up.

Thanks, I'm in the middle of cycling and think I will add some live sand to the CC. As of last night the ammonia spiked and trite is very high too. Right now I'm not too concerned with livestock, rather just raising a healthy tank of sea water.

Taken it slow cause all I gotz is time.......

I forgot to add that I've mixed a lot of CC's with live sand (usually a higher % of live sand that CC) but it works well....it actually looks great IMO also.

Cameron

Archived