inTank Media Baskets

Help with Finnex 30G Planning

dasstheboss

I am planningo n getting a finnex 30G and put my 250W MH system on it.

As per flow, wold the stock pump along with 3x micro-jet 450 pumps be enough flow for some low rate SPS like Green Birdsnest and Pink birdsnest?

Also, will the MJ wavemaker work on the micro-jet? since they are made by the same company?

OR should i just get the wavemaker with 3x MJ 600?

Another thing, will i need a chiller for this set-up? an iceprobe?

I don't think the microjets will be enough flow in general. I also don't think they work on a wavemaker, but don't know for sure. You'll probably be able to grow birdsnest with that regardless.

You should look into the Koralia nanos. They don't work on a wavemaker, but they look a lot better in a tank and provide plenty of flow.

Ditto, I'd say get a pair of Koralia Nanos, the MicroJets won't make nearly as much of a dent in the flow. In my Finnex I upgraded my stock 475gph pump with a Rio 14HF 840gph pump and added a Koralia 2 into the mix for a total of 1440gph of flow or a 47x turnover rate. Plenty sufficient for most SPS.

As for a chiller, you might need one. I know my tank definitely needs one. it's all dependant on how many pumps you have in the tank, and the ambient temp around the tank. The only way to know is to own it and see how the temps do. An Iceprobe for sure won't cut it on the Finnex though. I run a JBJ 1/20th chiller on mine.

Archived