Cultivated Reef

Phosphates

sdboogie

My nitrates are high (40-50) so I don't think my tank is done cycling. I just got a reef test kit from SeaTest and took it for a spin. What alarmed me was the phospate level. It was >1mg/L. Should I be concerned about the phosphate level before my tank is through cycling? If so, what should I do about it? Water changes, sponges? Algae doesn't seem to be a problem yet. I was thinking of increasing my cleaning crew by a few crabs and a couple of snails. Good idea? One more thing, what are the subsand sized crawly things on my glass? There must be a couple hundred.

Thanks

My nitrates are high (40-50) so I don't think my tank is done cycling.
Nitrates are normal but your are a bit high IMO. When cycling you need to watch the ammonia and nitrite. Sounds like you are cycled but I'd do a partial water change to drop the trates a little.

Cameron

After 2 1gal water changes on consecutive days, nitrates are down to about 15. I will do a full water test tomorrow to see the big picture. Hopefully phosphates are down too. I got some money burnin in my pocket. Any good ideas for the beginning reef. Maybe a protein skimmer or upgrade the lights? Or maybe more clean up crew or even my first coral (sounds scary). Any recommendations for that first coral. Was thinking bubble based on the toleration of low light (LFS info).

If your phophates become a problem get some rowaphos to stick in the HOB. Great product. IMO, if you've got money to spend upgrade the lighting. You'll be glad you did.

Archived