Cultivated Reef

sump overflow failsafe

s1rk1118

I have a 10 gal display with a 15 gal sump. I have a hang on overflow w/ u-tube, and I worry about the u-tube losing sihpon (hasn't happened yet, but came close once). I was thinking about putting my sump pump in a small acrylic box that would have 1" of sump water over the top. Then, if I lost siphon, I would only over flow about 1-2 gal vs pumping the entire 15 on the floor (it's sitting on a concrete floor in the basement next to a drain, so that's not a problem, I just don't want to loose the entire 15 gal and burn up my heaters). Any thoughts, concerns, anybody done this?

chickendude10

Sounds like a good idea. The only thing I would worry about is the water level in the return area changing becuase of evap, but that shouldn't be a problem if you have an ATO.

What is your sump layout like right now?

The only ATO I have right now is ME. I will build one soon. Very simple sump, DSB in a bucket, 2 heaters, and the pump.

Both ends of the U tube are submerged. On a previous tank, I had a large snail crawl into the overflow, up the tube, and bingo. If things can go wrong, they will.

Archived