Innovative Marine Aquariums

change my just cycled 10 to a 20gal?

Kingpin

the fish friend that gave me free 2-36 watt lights and kit and willing to give free coral thinks i should convert my 20gal long afrcain cichlid tank to my nano.(my afrcains can be place in another 55gal african cichlid tank that is now understocked)

also IF i do go 20gal long i can change my lighting to 2-55 watts but that means new bulbs and im low on money. i dont even have a job and im just starting school and now money and time are limited.(im only 16)

he said i can get 5 fish in a 20g-long and it more forgiving, but not on my wallet.

i had also JUST build the ROSS canopy and this week was going to stock my 10g w/ its shrimpless clean up crew

my current set up is

10gal

15lb LR

10lb LS

10lb CC

5 arstea snails

fully cycled 7 days ago

what do you guys think, listen to him?

im kind of #### that he didnt suggest this durning the cycle.

Well, it looks like you kind answered your own question. If you can't afford it don't do it.

he said i can get 5 fish in a 20g-long and it more forgiving
That would not be a good idea IMO....pretty high bioload for a 20.

The way I see it is that if you wanted or could have afforded a 20 in the first place you woulda done it. I'd stick w/ what you have.

Cameron

I can't think of any reef fish that I would put 5 of in a 20. More like 2. 3 MAYBE if they are all quite small. What are the fish you are wanting to keep?

zizmans...how about 4-5 tangs...that would work out well.

j/k...;)

yah...for a 20 gal, you should really be looking at like 3-4 fish...

I guess if you get 5 pseudochromis fish you could be ok....but I dont really think that would be much fun.

5 is kinda pushing it and you will have to really be on that thing to make sure water quality does not suffer.

It "can" be done...but I dont really think it will be worth it, and as you said...if money is an issue now, why put yourself in the predicament

all i really want is a pair of O. perculas ,cerith snails, and zebra crabs. no shrimp. if you guys thought i should go 20gal long then i wound also want a 6-lined wrasses added.

he said 5 fish, i thought that was alot too.

a "what if" question.

what if i made the 20gal a salt water with sand no LR maybe some LR rubble in a HOB filter and have like an open ocean tank. maybe like a rock or too kind of like the oceans cleaning station for like sharks and whales. and i get a 6-lined wrasses in this tank w/ a yellow watchman goby or a green banned goby and a shrimp or 2. with all that sand bottom wont they love it?i would have no corals cuz the lights suck NO flor. maybe when i get a jobill upgrade them.

main question.

so, could it work? would i need a different kind of filtration if i dont use LR and just a DSB of 3 and lower?

added this after a StarCraft game and coming up with more ideas. i know i want to go though on this tank.

would really be cool to have an open ocean nano tank. the 20gal long like every one says have great light pentration for my NO athinic bulb look really cool with a light blue background(may put in a 18" NO daylight if blue is to overpowering) and ALOT of surface area mean MORE sand bottom.

-im not a gobies expert but dont they love sand bottom?

-do they NEED hiding places?

-what would do good in a sand bottom tank?

I am not an expert on gobies either, but many of the ones that I have observed love to perch on rocks and dart in and out from behind them.

As a general rule, most fish need to have rocks to feel secure, it gives them a place to hide from other fish, and also from humans when they approach the tank.

If you dont have hiding places your fish may become real skittish...maybe you can try settig up the tank with a big rock formation on one side and then open on the other if you are looking for a lot of swim space...

sorry if i want clear on that but yes, that the idea 1 big rock from LFS and left overs from the 10gal on one side. Main idea of tank is like the oceans cleaning station where whales and shark go to get parcite removed. if you watched SHARK WEEK on discovery channel they showed these in most of the episodes. it looks like something is not suppose to be there like misplace in the ocean. 1 big rock usually the lengh of a shark(10feet) that about 5 feet high with lots of live on it, corals fish and inverts.

i know i not going to get any shark to visit but hey it would be could to have a nano cleaning station.

i know im getting 2 skunk cleaners along w/ my 5 aestra snail from my 10gal.(i want to go cerith and zebra hermits to get a hawaii biotope)

edit:can i getthe filteration question answered so i can start this beast up.

Archived