SaltCritters.com

do you have to dose for trace elements?

flipmodetank

flipmodetank

Currently using korralin s-plus once a week. I have been told on another forum that basic water changes replaces all the trace elements and that i should only be dosing for calcium/alk and mg? That i should be more concerned on having a build up of trace elements rather then a deficeit. What does everyone here use for calc/alk/mag? i hear bionic is a good one.

tank specs:

22 gallon m tank w/ 150 watt hqi

2 clowns

torch/ricordia/gsp/xenia.

masterbuilder

What they said is VERY accurate IMO. ESV B-ionic or AquaC seem to be the favored brands here. The ONLY other thing I might consider is a Magnesium supplement. Gotta be able to accurately test for each additive, if you cant/dont your much much better off not dosing at all. With what you have in your tank, you really dont need to add anything but seawater. Someone will say iodine, dont do it.

Mark

p.s. I would never dose any trace elements...but thats just me.

I just do weekly water changes and dont dose anything normally. On the rare occasion I get lazy and dont do a water change one weekend I dose Cal and Alk the pick up the water change the next weekend. I have SPS, LPS and softies.

Strong believer of not dosing what you don't test for. Keeping a regular water change schedule works for the vast majority of nano tanks. Really, unless you have a specialized tank your trace elements are covered by waterchanges.

I like http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ for three part dosing. Not that there is anything wrong with B-Ionic mind you.

The Propagator

Keep in mind that your at a very light live stock level right now.

As you increase your stock quantity in the tank the amount of elements used will stedily increase.

Possibly to the point of have to does one or several things to keep up in between water changes.

Archived