Pod Your Reef

Solana Time

Cubby23

Got the fan on there, it look and works great. But I still have a huge problem.

BUBBLES. Whenever I let my tank run for half a day it starts shooting bubbles, millions of them. It doesn't matter if I keep up the ATO or not. Also why on the ATO does only one bottle empty? No matter what I do the overflow from the skimmer isnt keeping up with their return pump. The back of my Solana is stock. What the hell is going on?

I havent seen the back of one, but sounds like the water level in the rear chambers isnt up to where it should be. Is the tank evaporating alot of water in a day?

• 4 months later...

OK so a lot has happened over the past couple months. My tank has matured a lot along with the live stock.I know this is a teaser to the pics will be up tomorrow.

Here is the current coral list:

3 acan lord mini colonies

1 frogspawn

1 green orenji

1 orange monti digitata colony

2 frags of pink mili which are now turned green

Fish:

1 Pair of Banggais

1 Perc

1 Six Line Wrasse

1 Yellow Clown Goby

The corals have been growing really well and the tank really looks great now. I'm really waiting on the Banggais to spawn. The cyano phase is completely over and the tank is super clean now. The rock work has changed a little and accommodates the coral much better. For the future im just looking to expand my coral collection. I'm most interested in superman and sunset montis and some rare acan frags. The orange digi colony grows like a weed I will likely frag that soon.

Great news, I believe my banggai is brooding. He has been sulking in the back of tank and refuses to eat. Hopefully in the next couple days his jaw will look like a bulldog.

Tomorrow I'm receiving a sunset monti and a red cap monti so the tank is still growing.

I know I know I promised pics but in all seriousness tomorrow they will come.

What do you guys think?

Really bad news, my male banggai wasn't brooding he was sick actually and died. This is a big disappointment, I was so excited.

Here are the promised pics, I wish I had HALF a clue about how to use this camera to its potential, Olympus E500.

Enjoy

P3042095.jpg

P3042103.jpg

P3042104.jpg

P3042108.jpg

Looks good besides the bubble algae. ;)

Did you get your bubble issue figured out? It's either the level of the collecton cup on the skimmer, or the water level in the return chamber is low enough that the pump is taking both air and water. I keep a ton of water in the system, maybe 5" below the top of the tank in the rear. I go on ~3/4" down from the top in front.

Looks good besides the bubble algae. ;)

Did you get your bubble issue figured out? It's either the level of the collecton cup on the skimmer, or the water level in the return chamber is low enough that the pump is taking both air and water. I keep a ton of water in the system, maybe 5" below the top of the tank in the rear. I go on ~3/4" down from the top in front.

The bubbles are under control, but still not great. That is interesting on the amount of water you have in the tank. In the middle chamber underneath the sponge filter do you have carbon bags? If the water level is ever actually over the sponge the return starts sucking air on mine. Maybe I should just add a bunch of water.

And dank, when I turn the flash off the shutter speed gets way too slow and i get a blurry pic, and I have tried turning the ISO way up.

• 2 weeks later...
TriggerHappyDude
And dank, when I turn the flash off the shutter speed gets way too slow and i get a blurry pic, and I have tried turning the ISO way up.

I think he's right, what I know about taking these kinds of shots, the flash is a big no no here.

You might head over to the photography threads and see what they suggest.

SO I wanted to ask you a few questions as I'm reasearching the Solana as well...

1. Where did you get the 34 gallon Starphire Glass version? I can only find the smaller 25 gallon Starphire glass version, are you sure yours is 34 gallons?

2. What other threads can you share with me for other Solana owners?

3. What made you choose the 250w SunPod over the 150w? I have a feeling that is the culprit in your heat issues, and now you might need a chiller. Whereas the 150w might not have caused so much heat.

Just trying to help myself decide what to purchase! Thanks.

TriggerHappyDude

The reason I'm asking about the size of the tank is I found a place online selling the "startphire" or "super bright" tanks, but it says they are 24 gallons, could be a misprint and they meant 34 gallons?

http://www.marineandreef.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Solana

Current USA SuperBrite Glass 24 Gallon Solana Aquarium w/150w SunDial HQI Pendant and Modern Black Aquarium Stand

Our Price: $740.00

• 3 weeks later...

Hey trigger sorry about the seriously late reply. I went for the 250W to get more light for SPS corals. My heat problem has since been fixed, in the warmer months I have a fan. In the winter months the fan comes off. I also cut the front 5" of the glass lid off. This way I can reach in and feed without removing everything and it helps with cooling. When looking for my Solana I did a lot of research about the "low iron staphire" glass and where to get one. They were a small run of tanks made and sent out to retailers. Some got them some didn't. Most people who I called didn't know what I was talking about. Overall the difference is probably negligible, if you have clean glass and bright lights your tank will look great!

TriggerHappyDude
Hey trigger sorry about the seriously late reply. I went for the 250W to get more light for SPS corals. My heat problem has since been fixed, in the warmer months I have a fan. In the winter months the fan comes off. I also cut the front 5" of the glass lid off. This way I can reach in and feed without removing everything and it helps with cooling. When looking for my Solana I did a lot of research about the "low iron staphire" glass and where to get one. They were a small run of tanks made and sent out to retailers. Some got them some didn't. Most people who I called didn't know what I was talking about. Overall the difference is probably negligible, if you have clean glass and bright lights your tank will look great!

Yeah, "tanks", I moved on and just started getting stuff...late replier! Hahaha! JK.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on your build as I build mine. Compare notes.

You might try pointing the flash at the ceiling if you must have it on. Or set up a tripod nice and close to the tank, the MH lighting should be plenty for your camera.

Osric

Yeah I continue to be a real camera amateur. My corals have been going through explosive growth. Especially that Atlantis Pink Bird's Nest i got!

• 5 months later...

well my brother is gone off to college, so the tank is now mine. he REALLY REALLY let this tank fall apart (not literally) 90% of his awesome corals are, well quite frankly im using dead acropora from his tank to prop up the cynarina in mine. look for updates of this and that in the future on this tank! gonna try to make it look REALLY nice for when he comes home fr thanksgiving and x-mas etc.

Archived