Coral Vue Hydros

Tunze Skimmer Frusteration

KMitch

That knob for adjusting is really poorly placed IMO which makes it a huge PITA to try and tweak it! I am going to mess with it a little more, and if I can't get it, I am selling this back to someone on RC or trading with Nips.

i'll try that, thanks eric

er1c_the_reefer

it took me other a month before mine finally started working right if that helps. roger said the pump is slightly overpowered for the skimmer.

Its a shame then that I hate waiting! Did the pantyhose thing help stop microbubbles? I might be more forgiving of the skimmer if I didn't have a constant reminder in the display of how it was snowing....

If you go remora, let me know. I have one in the attic. I'll have to see if it's the in sump or hang on though, I forget. I may have a bak pak too if you are interested

i think you should consider my recommendation on the foam right underneath the skimmer first. I had one of these in a 13g bb tank with a massive amount of flow. 2x6025, 2x6045 which was hidden under my rockscape. The 6045 were at the bottom of the tank and only ran at certain times.

whenever I turned them on there was an increase in flow at the bottom of my tank. This affected my 9002 all the time. what would happen was that it pushed water by the input/output way too quickly and i'd get bubbles in the tank. And the skimmer would stop working. But if your whole tank is snowing, I would check for other culprits. Can you actually see that much microbubble escape from the bottom of the tunze? that sounds really odd to me, like the output of the pump were aimed down and not snapped in place correctly.

It might just be your return, if theres a hole in the line, it can act like a venturi. Are you using the old version without the magnetic mounts? or the new one? I was using the old one which was problematic. I hear a lot less complaints about the new 9002

It is a new version... I cannot see where the bubbles are coming from, just they are coming from the skimmer (can't fit my head completely behind the tank....) I'll conduct further research now I have more ideas and see what is going on, might try wrapping the whole thing in filter pad! :)

I had the same exact problems with mine, but after about 3 weeks it was working fine. From time to time I will come home to a full skimmer cup which is odd, but for the most part i love it. Just wait it out.

I put the pantyhose over about half of the collection cup (so that all microbubbles have to be broken down by the lining first). Another thing that can help with the microbubble situation is to wash the skimmer for a few minutes in HOT water.

take the skimmer out of the back and mount it in your display to see where the bubbles are comming from... then try the fix like nip was saying

Well I took out the skimmer, noticed the bottom was on but kinda loose, so I zip tied the whole thing together (top and bottom) and then covered in pantyhose (good thing I got a job that requires those!)

No more microbubbles!!!

Skimming efficiency is low right now, easier to increase then decrease and I like drier skimmate

you can always do what i do run both at the same time so if one fails or overskims dues to either micro bubble loss or foam fractionator failure i have a back up but it good to hear you sloved you problem

***EDIT*** sorry i run both the Tunze 9002 DOC and the Aqua C Ramora in my BB SPS tank

Well I took out the skimmer, noticed the bottom was on but kinda loose, so I zip tied the whole thing together (top and bottom) and then covered in pantyhose (good thing I got a job that requires those!)

No more microbubbles!!!

Skimming efficiency is low right now, easier to increase then decrease and I like drier skimmate

Make sure you clean the pantyhose often because it will clog easy due to the small pores....we tried this 15 years ago on our early skimmer versions and finally got tired of having to clean the hose.

That is why tank manufacturers need to design their tanks correctly....if they did the bubble problem would not exist independent of the skimmer used.

Archived