Coral Vue Hydros

New PFO light on my nano!

McBrew

I just replaced the ViaAqua CF lights with a PFO mini-pendant 150w 10,000k metal halide. The bulb is an Aqualine 10,000k, which actually puts out 12,000k, I believe. The mini-pendant is just the right size for my 11 gallon ViaAqua tank. The Turbinaria absolutely loves the new light! Within 20 minutes it was more open than I've ever seen it.

I can't really get across in the picture how bright the light is. The shimmer is awesome!

BTW: Aqualine-Buschke "10,000" bulbs actually burn at 13,000K

The pendant is hanging from the ceiling for now. I'll be moving soon, so this is not permanent. The pendant has two screw-in eyelets on top. I screwed three eyelets into the ceiling. I have a decorative chain (black) that I bought from Home Depot which attaches in a "W" shape. My ceiling is wood... if you try this with a sheet rock ceiling, I would suggest using good anchors. Fortunately, the pendant is not very heavy.

Nice :-D

I've got 2 of those on on of my tanks. I'm not sure if PFO made any changes since I got mine around a year ago but w/in 3 weeks both burned the wiring up. Basically, all the insulation hardened and flaked off. The heat those things create was unreal so after I rewired them w/ some much better quality wiring everything has been fine. Just thought I'd put that out there so keep an eye on the wires.

Cameron

Yup I can vouch for that. I had to redo the wiring as well. I also used some of that heavy duty fabric heat guard stuff to insulate the wires. Same stuff you find in engine compartments & ovens. So far no problems.

I would check the wires just to make sure......it would suck to have a new bulb burn out or worse.

Mine are both 250's. Thanks for that link....I must have missed it before. I pretty much did what they are saying except I did have more wire damage than is listed on their page.

Cameron

Archived