Innovative Marine Aquariums

Hitchhiker and Coral Identification Help PLZ!

donteatthenano

donteatthenano

any help with these would be much appreciated. as things get a little bigger i will try to take better pictures. thanks a ton for all of your help.

Pictures 1 through 3 are Zooanthids.

Picture 4 is red sea pulsing pom pom xenia.

Picture 5 is recovering blastomossa! That IS the best!

• 2 weeks later...

4 looks like anthelia to me.

1 also looks like a cup coral on aquacultured rock

the polyps are paly...augh i forgot how to spell it, but they are the large zooanthids

donteatthenano

lfs friend also ID'd pic4 as anthelia. i'm going to post some new pics to show the hitchhiker progress sometime this weekend. i may also post a tankshot, along with any worms or pods i can catch. i've also got some anemone/polyped looking things that i'm afraid might be aiptasia but i haven't got a clue and i think that they may be too small to ID yet (and too small to take pics of right now). thanks again for the help. this sure is great fun.

donteatthenano

pic2 and pic3 i added 2 weeks after adding the $7.99/lb lr. everything else was there when i picked the rock out of the tank at my lfs. the tank cycled in less than 2 weeks (10 days) which i think aided in the survival rate of the hitchhikers. i really liked the hidden cup coral eventhough i didn't know what it was at the time. i also picked out a couple of nice pieces for their coraline cover. it's been over a month now and i have coraline now growing on my heater and all the hitchhikers are getting bigger and bigger.

thanks again for everyone's feedback. this is fun stuff (wish the wife would let me start a 5.5g). any advice here would help out too (a friend already offered to donate the equip to my cause). :-)

man, i wish i got those hitch hikers on my live rock, all i get is micro algea and the crabs get to it in a matter of days. so i have to supplement corals on to the rocks

donteatthenano

i need a little more help. can anyone identify this? it doesn't seem to want to cause too much of a problem but it is definitely growing very fast. thanks.

• 2 months later...
donteatthenano

pic1 - hiddencup corals and macro algae which no longer exists due to some hungry bristleworms

pic2 - orange polyped palythoa frag

pic3 - variation of coral in pic2...i think

pic4 - has grown considerably, now resembles a purple gorgonian

pic5 - hiddencup coral

donteatthenano

i could definitely be sold on the red grape caulerpa, but there is an octocoral in there as well, which i believe has grown to resemble a purple gorgonian (if we're talking about the same thing). the caulerpa was very cool but disappeared slowly due to a growing population of bristleworms...i think. they're big enough now that i'll probably start picking them (the bristleworms) out of the tank when it's convenient. i hate to do it, because some of them are very interesting, but i really like the algae too.

is number 5 a baby candy cane? it could be the cup coral, but they are usually more solid with actual tentacles instead of sweepers which those appear to be.

• 4 months later...

Archived