Coral Vue Hydros

Smelly tank!!! I really, really need help!

Phish

O.K. my tank is just starting to cycle, it still hasnt settled the 'dust cloud' and the tank is really, really smelling bad, actually like

fecal matter :x . and if I leave that rooms door open... CLEAR OUT!!!

I think that i'am going with a HOB w/carbon, or with some batting just to get the 'dust cloud' out too...

Will carbon take the smell out?

I really, really need help.

Orange Crush

water changes wouldn't hurt, might slow down the cycle a bit, but should help the smell issue and not harm anything in the long run.

You can either....

a) do a water change

B) use carbon

c) deal with it

The issues w/ each are...

a) slows the cycle

B) slows the cycle

c) smells bad for a day or two more

It's up to you but if it was me I'd do a quick 25-50 percent water change.

Cameron

I had that problem too during the initial cycle. My room smelled as if something died in there. There's most probably some (or lots) of die off from the live rock. Even cured live rock will generate a bit of die off even during short transportation (like 15 mins from the nearby LFS to my home). It'll go away in time. But yeah, like the others have said, small water changes and carbon will help take care of the smell, albeit slowing down the cycle a bit, but its just a matter of time.

Well, I have just started using carbon, I knew it would slow down the cycle, but it was either that or get yelled at, constantley from every one in my house... Not much choice huh?

But 'The Cloud' (the name I gave to the 'dust cloud' that came from my LS) is slowly starting to 'die off', and the smell is already subsiding, but damn, that was bad...

Thanks for the help/suggestions.

Archived