ReefCleaners.org

filter feeding crabs?

dreamweaver_gcotb

dreamweaver_gcotb

I discovered a new hitchhiker in my tank. Its a little crab about the size of a dime, maybe a bit smaller. It has white legs and rather large claws that are also white. However, I saw it waving blue colored appendages that had what looked like flags of tiny hair-like things. It waves them about and then pulls them toward it's mouth. I never heard of filter feeding crabs before. Any ideas what he could be? Getting a picture at this point would be next to impossible because he stays exclusively on the back of the rock. I can only see his front legs, claws and his flags that he waves. I can't even see his body.

• 3 weeks later...

Most likely it will grow back – they can replace appendages with successive molts. Most LFS will carry DT, you may just have to ask. If not, there's an online site.

I've had my porcelain anemone crab for a few months and he's doing very well. They will eat bits of any food you put in there so you can supplement the diet that way. They're fun little guys.

Kalanianaole , You were right. I got home the other day and thought it was dead,but it was molt. There it was with a brand new claw. I found one rip off reef store that carries DT's. 18 bucks for the small,but it works out about the same online with shipping I guess.

Archived