Top Shelf Aquatics

Cycling in less then one week...is it possible?

waveman216

Need some help. I set up my tank last Wednesday.

10 gal

7 lbs. live rock

8 lbs. live base rock

3 inches of live sand

32 W PC

I've been testing the water and saw the amonia spike then drop, and the same with the nitrites. Saturday the nitrates were at 20 ppm, now at 12. I also added two hermit crabs, two snails and two emerald crabs on Saturday. There's copepods EVERYWHERE now and the coral looks really healthy. I also added a small dead fish to kick up the cycling time, but the crabs ate it two days later.

Two questions: is it possible my tank is almost done cycling in less then a week? I also have three clams on the live rock, will these suck up enough nutrients so that I have to do more frequent water changes?

Thanks

Yes, it's possible the major spike is done....this greatly depends on the quality of the live rock and live sand when you got it. If the rock was in another aquarium or from a friend you'll have very little die off equaling a minor cycle if any.

Just remember that because it may appear cycled that doesn't mean stable. Take your time and be patient for the next few weeks especially.

Cameron

I had the same experience with my tank. I watched it go really quick. I'd say in two weeks time it seeme done. I'd still wait a bit. Maybe another week just to be sure things are okay. Maybe I'm paranoid, but it's better to be safe then sorry.

Archived