Pod Your Reef

Snail Eating Corraline Algae?

ModemMan8

I have very thick corraline algae on my live rocks that appear to have survived my brief cycle... normal readings for one week now. Yesterday I bought a snail about the size of a dime. Since discovering the rock, he has abandoned the acylic sides of the tank and is literally bulldozing through the rocks.... leaving a trail of light coralline that looks like its embedded in the rock. The rock is still colorful but nearly as dramatic as before he glides over it. It is eating the crusty corraline big time.

I have 3 other much small hitchhiker snails that are very industrious - but remain on the tank sides.

Pic is attached. He/she is directly in the middle of the photo. Did I buy the wrong kind of snail for a reef tank? Is this normal? Will the corraline grow back? just as thick?

Will this snail ruin the intense coloration of the rock?

Thanx!

i can't really tell what kind it is from the pic (margarita?). i doubt the snail's doing major structural damage to the coralline tho. i'd be surprised if it was actually ripping the coralline off but it could be 'dulling' it as you say.

that should actually promote the lateral growth of the coralline. if the upper thallus of the coralline is grazed upon, the coralline tends to overcome this impediment by growing outwards along its edges (i.e. laterally).

make sure your Mg levels are maintained (along with ca/alk) and the purple/maroon should continue to flourish.

Archived