SaltCritters.com

How to Get Clearer water....

tskinner2002

tskinner2002

Just wondering if there are any ways to get more clearer water in a tank. Recently I've just been stirring it up and sucking it up when I do I water change but alot of stuff gets left behind and I'm looking for improve the clarity. Can I run a small HOB powerfilter with some type of filter floss in it or something else in it. Any ideas would be great.

tskinner2002

I'm currently running an aqua c remora for skimmer but the water still seems alittle cloudy/dirty. Not sure if running a HOB power filter with some type of media would be good.

masterbuilder

Your on the right track... a HOB with floss over a 1/2 bag of Chemipure and/or a the small prepackaged bag of Purigen (I use both at the same time), change them out once a month. Change the floss once a week or if it looks the slightest bit dirty.

tskinner2002

Where would I put the purigen as I don't have a sump. Could I get a cheap HOB filter and put a bag of it in there along with another type of media??

You can put purigen anywhere the water will flow over it. A small HOB would work perfectly. I recommend the Aquaclear line of HOB filters, they are well liked and reliable.

Carbon & water change

Carbon is good at getting meds out of the water and polishing, but purigen will also absorb ammonia, nitrItes and nitrates.

Not sure what to do about using with hob. Maybe someone can help.

tskinner2002

Would an AC20 be big enough for that or maybe even an AC30. Anything else I would run in there...carbon...filter floss....???? Thanks

tskinner2002

I do 10-15% water changes about everyone 10 days and it never helps. I'm going to search for a filter over the next little while and see what I can do. When you say carbon, do you mean the blue pads like I use on my freshwater tank.......so purigen in a bag and filter floss is an ac20 or similar type of filter would work?

I mean like a baggy of carbon..... Aquaclear filters come with a bag. How big/old is your tank and what lights do you run how long? Is it brown or green tint to the water?

tskinner2002

My tank is a 20gal High. I run my lights for 12hours....2 actinic.....8 actinic and daytime.....2actinic. Its 4x24Watt T5HO. Its more of a brown grungy look....not as clean and clear as everyone tanks I look at on here. So far I'll run an Aquaclear 30 with a bag of chemipure and a bag of carbon. Any thing else or something think different.

My tank is a 20gal High. I run my lights for 12hours....2 actinic.....8 actinic and daytime.....2actinic. Its 4x24Watt T5HO. Its more of a brown grungy look....not as clean and clear as everyone tanks I look at on here. So far I'll run an Aquaclear 30 with a bag of chemipure and a bag of carbon. Any thing else or something think different.

Try cutting down the light cycle as well. You might have some algae in the water from an increase of nutrients in the water from the lights being on so long. I suggest between 8-10hrs a day. That might help some too. I don't guess you get sunlight on the tank either?

tskinner2002
U probably don't need both. Do u dose anything?

No I don't dose anything in the tank. Not that advanced in the reefing yet....lol

tskinner2002

So I managed to dig up a power filter for the tank. Not sure what kind but a friend says she has a filter for me so I'm gonna see what it is and run a bag of purigen in it along with some filter floss. I'll let you know how it works it out. Thanks alot

tskinner2002

Would the Fluval carbon be good as it is already packaged in bags?? I'm also going to get some filter floss tomorrow. Just deciding on what kind of carbon and if this prepackaged stuff is good, even though it wouldn't be a fluval, just going to be using a normal hang on back filter

Archived