SaltCritters.com

Our 15 gallon mini-reef

mercedes

Right now they just eat bloodworms. We feed some of our corals mysis shrimp, so far we havent seen the Mandarins stealing the mysis shrimp from the corals. If that does start to happen we could start feeding the Mandarins mysis instead.

A quick google search shows mysis shrimp as having a HIGHER fat content than bloodworms. I don't really know much about the fat content of fish foods and whether a higher or lower fat content would be desireable.

As far as which one is more natural? Yeah bloodworms are a "freshwater" food and mysis are a "saltwater" food but as far as I know wild Mandarins aren't known for eating mysis so I am a little skeptical calling mysis a more natural food.

It would be more convenient if our corals and fish ate the same food as long as our Mandarins don't get greedy and steal food directly from our corals.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok tried mysis shrimp + blood worms last night and the mandarins were not having the mysis shrimp whatsoever. :/ They chowed down on the blood worms though! :)

I love the zoa island. I'm doing the same thing.

Thank you Aqua Newbie! I wish our tubs grew faster so we could incorporate them into the island. :(

New cleaner crew additions:

+5 BIG nassarius snails

+5 bumble bee snails

+5 margarita snails

Our little pink/purple/green plate:

DSC00061.JPG?imgmax=400

Actinic shot of zoo island:

DSC00040.JPG?imgmax=400

Duncan mouth wide-open:

DSC00064.JPG?imgmax=400

Hungry brain:

DSC00009.JPG?imgmax=400

pictures don't work on this

sorry about the double post, you probably don't want to run that led with the sticky strip on the back, from moisture and heat it will fail and you leds may fall in the water, run some screws in that thing

:)

pictures don't work on this

sorry about the double post, you probably don't want to run that led with the sticky strip on the back, from moisture and heat it will fail and you leds may fall in the water, run some screws in that thing

:)

Thanks for the heads up! I'll put screws in ASAP.

are you sure those yumas arent bleached?? they look like they will be nice but they look bleached to me, and ive never seen a white yuma... where do you have them in your tank? lighting? and flow?

rest of the tank looks good (i wont say anything about the manderins) all other corals look good... love zoa island

are you sure those yumas arent bleached?? they look like they will be nice but they look bleached to me, and ive never seen a white yuma... where do you have them in your tank? lighting? and flow?

rest of the tank looks good (i wont say anything about the manderins) all other corals look good... love zoa island

Hi Matty 1124,

TY for the feedback! We purchased our white + pink yumas exactly how they are shown. I believe they are a reverse iteration of one of these:

coral_18.jpg

...which is listed as a pink + lime green yuma. We've got a little dinky point-and-shoot so pls excuse the poor picture quality. :blush: They are pretty low in the tank and are in-line w/ our opportunistic anemone so it's got pretty decent flow hitting it. I may be wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a few new pieces/livestock:

- red/orange montipora cap

- Chuck (our new little cutie patootie yellow clown goby)

- cleaner shrimp (Mr. Sparkle Sanchez III)

- 2 new peppermint shrimp (Dazed + Confused II)

=?Windows-1252?B?SU1HMDA5MTEuanBn?=-773314.jpg

=?Windows-1252?B?SU1HMDA5MTAuanBn?=-774045.jpg

Picking up large pink + small/medium neon green stylophora on Saturday. Yay! :)

hot pink cat's paw stylophora:

=?Windows-1252?B?SU1HMDA5MjQuanBn?=-742906.jpg

very happy w/ this purchase... it's still acclimating in this photo.

neon green stylophora:

=?Windows-1252?B?SU1HMDA5MzIuanBn?=-705005.jpg

we scored a fairly big colony off of someone who was getting out of the hobby so i've got 2 fairly large frags up for sale/trade if anyone is interested. (seattle metro area preferred)

tank left:

=?Windows-1252?B?SU1HMDA5MjYuanBn?=-764109.jpg

tank right:

=?Windows-1252?B?SU1HMDA5MjcuanBn?=-765226.jpg

what's left of our tubs :(

=?Windows-1252?B?SU1HMDA5MjUuanBn?=-793227.jpg

long story short, we went from 10 to 4 heads over the course of the weekend. don't know what happened, but brad thinks the bumble bee snails have been chowing down on 'em so off with their heads! jk! albeit, they're banished to the 'fuge for the time being. luckily, zoo island is unscathed. super bummed though. tubs aren't cheap! grr! :/

more low-res fish pix:

=?Windows-1252?B?SU1HMDA5MjkuanBn?=-741006.jpg

chuck being a goofball, chasing his reflection...

=?Windows-1252?B?SU1HMDA5MzQuanBn?=-794040.jpg

=?Windows-1252?B?SU1HMDA5MzMuanBn?=-794858.jpg

guy + gf...

also made a diy hanging frag tray out of a 99 cent mini plastic halloween candy basket mounted with an old magnet cleaner thingie + rearranged the tank again today. nothing major, just put the odds and ends in the new-fangled basket. :)

new additions:

- 20+ pink w/neon yellow-ish white center yumas :)

- 6 hot pink yumas

- gsp (still acclimating)

- blue-ish white ring + yellow-orange centers w/ green skirt zoos

pardon the poopy cell phone pix!

=?utf-8?B?SU1HMDA5NzEuanBn?=-710582.jpg

very poopy... haha

I want some yumas, but it seems like no one around here has any.

where is here? we have a ton of itty bitty pink/white babies. we'd consider shipping you a polyp once they matured if you were willing to pay for shipping.

where is here? we have a ton of itty bitty pink/white babies. we'd consider shipping you a polyp once they matured if you were willing to pay for shipping.

Love zoa island like others have said, I definitley will be doing something close to that in my tank now that you've inspired me.

Are you worried about the (what looks like) hammer coral on zoa island messing with teh zoa's at all when it gets bigger?

Love zoa island like others have said, I definitley will be doing something close to that in my tank now that you've inspired me.

Are you worried about the (what looks like) hammer coral on zoa island messing with teh zoa's at all when it gets bigger?

Thanks CheeseHead! We actually moved him (Indonesian frogspawn) last night since he was not happy because we tinkered with and repositioned the Koralias. Too much flow so he's a grumpy little guy. :/ He's camping out in back of the tank behind some rocks until he feels better. Looking to position him next to our pink/green hammer once he's doing ok. I heard that frogspawn + hammers were fairly compatible and probably wouldn't hurt each other being so close, but I could be wrong. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong! :)

holy hot mess! ok so i just realized that we scored big time! those pink w/ yellow-ish white mixed yuma rock we picked up for cheap over the weekend are going for:

$100+ per polyp @ http://www.aquacon.com/mushrooms.html

$150 per polyp @ https://www.godscreationsunderthesea.com/me...products_id=533

$299 @ http://www.soutassaltwater.com/product.php...=251&page=1

pretty stoked to know we've got something on the rare side. :D

Archived