inTank Media Baskets

will work for fuge (advice that is)

mikestod

starting a new nano, and i need some advice on setting up a fuge. never tried one, and need all the help i can get! if anyone can give me any advice, i'd like to turn my current 5 gal eclipse into a fuge. my 10 gal is not drilled...is there any way to turn an HOB into an overflow? if not, whats the best way to plumb a fuge without drilling? also, looking for any tips on pump/powerhead use to get the water up about 4 feet

i should have stated a little more clearly that i'd like to construct a sump style fuge to be stored under my tank within my stand...and i'm hoping to make it the least intrusive as possible. i was thing of drilling out a HOB filter to pump water from the tank and gravity feed into the sump tank/fuge (maybe with a ball valve to adjust flow rate), then using a powerhead and some baffles to get a good flow rate and path area, returning the water up to the tank via water pump. possibly using float switch safties to shut off either the filter or pump in case of malfunction. does this sound overly complicated or impossible? would i be better off just trying to plumb a siphon to draw water into the fuge? bring on the feedback!!!!

Assuming the 10 gallon is not currently set up and functioning, I'd get the tank drilled for surface overflow. This puts you back to using one pump from the sump to the tank. Still need the ball valve on the output of the pump. You could then use your float switch to run the top off water into the sump.

Your idea could be made to work, just seems like a lot of extra work to get around drilling the tank.

Ever consider putting the fuge ABOVE the display tank? this way you put the pump in the main tank (some kind of enclosure is needed to avoid detritus/live stock from getting caught in the intake). it pumps up into the fuge with some kind of over flow plumbed in and gravity feeds back into the dispaly tank. Not realsitic for larger reef aquariums but doable with the nano's.just an idea ive been tossing around. of course you can get a small overflow say 300 gph at http://www.reefgeek.com/categories/overflow_boxes.html and do it the usual way..

Archived