SaltCritters.com

"Thats some hard water YO!"

bustaphoto

I have been testing with API Master reef test kit for like two weeks. I noticed that my KH has always been a little high around the 225-250 ppm kh. I have always used my LFS water to change and heard not to trust the LFS and get your own water so I did. I got water from my super market from one of those filtered water machines. It said that is filters water through a double filtration process or water so I figured It should be ok (what a retard!!!) so I mixed my salt with the last of my Instant Ocean, finally getting rid of the stuff going to oceanic? well anyway the water test at 267 ppm kh. I tested the mix and it was at like 340ppm kh. I know what I have to do in the future but what can I do now, a water change tomorow? will it be to late? with good water?

Po 0

No 0

KH 267ppm Kh

Ca 420ppm Ca

I have been testing with API Master reef test kit for like two weeks. I noticed that my KH has always been a little high around the 225-250 ppm kh. I have always used my LFS water to change and heard not to trust the LFS and get your own water so I did. I got water from my super market from one of those filtered water machines. It said that is filters water through a double filtration process or water so I figured It should be ok (what a retard!!!) so I mixed my salt with the last of my Instant Ocean, finally getting rid of the stuff going to oceanic? well anyway the water test at 267 ppm kh. I tested the mix and it was at like 340ppm kh. I know what I have to do in the future but what can I do now, a water change tomorow? will it be to late? with good water?

Po 0

No 0

KH 267ppm Kh

Ca 420ppm Ca

Did I answer my own question?

does your tank look good? I really don't know what KH is and i have never worried about it so yeah. If your corals look fine why would you worry about this, i think pH is more important or maybe TDS (total dissolved solvents). Your Ca is fine i am assuming Po is Po4 phosphate, and No is both NO2 and NO3, nitrite and nitrate (respectively).

that's the thing none of my corals look happy at all. it KH is the hardness found in drinking water it is made to keep the water pipes from corroding it's measured in ppm KH so the 276 but can also be read as 15dkh.I have some pumping Xenia that are extended but the little feathers are all contracted. I have a bubble coral that i scroony s usually huge and not is all and has its tentacles retracted and my mushrooms aren't extending all the way. Even my GSP isn't looking 100%. this is the first time my corals aren't happy and I can't fix it.

Do you have a TDS meter? Have you checked the KH of the water directly out of the machines? Also, what salt are you using? What SG are you mixing your salt to and how are you measuring it?

I tested the KH in the water and it was through the roof. by this time I couldn't even fix it because the hurricane was coming. I just left it alone and I had to ride...

came back 36 hours later and it was horrible. my timers for the lights had malfunctioned because of the power surges. and hadn't turned off the whole time...

my corals all looked like goop and with a water temp of 94 degrees I don't blame them.

I went to work imedeatley and it took about 10 gallons of DI water and fresh col life sea salt mix back to stable again.

web.jpg

I lost my green hammer which I had just gotten and a hudge colony of pumping zenia which i was most proud of as well as about 30% of the rest of my corals. It has since then started to grow back and my xenia is cooming back.

Archived