SaltCritters.com

Better than Maxi-Jet?

Obsessed Reefer

Obsessed Reefer

Hey. I'm looking for a type of pump, similar to the maxi-jet, but one that has better specifications. I am not looking for the koralia currently, because I am looking for one that I can place behind a false wall, and have the output drilled through the wall. Thanks!

Ummm goto youtube and search for maxi jet mod, some dude named limpet drills and cuts one up... there is also a mod you can buy for like, 40 bucks I think also.. forget what its called.

he is talking about using one for a return... the prop mods cant be used for returns... i think there is a mod for one where you drill holes in the shroud so the pump can draw in more water... but i have never seen it hooked up as a return... i dont know if the holes would be counter productive when hooked up to return plumbing with back pressure

as far as replacement pumps i think its important to know the return chamber size, and the flow your looking for

maxi jet 1200 are usually what people use as upgrades for their stock pumps, why dont you like them?

Obsessed Reefer

Don't get me wrong, I love Maxi-Jets. I was just wondering if there was a pump that put out that type of output, with less watts. But after looking around, I don't think there is. Watts aren't a huge problem of mine, considering I already have a chiller that will be hooked up. Thanks everyone.

waveboxes are the most electrically efficient way of moving water.

Other common practices would be to drill your tank as much as possible and use the largest most powerful single return pump you can afford. that will cut down on the numerous single PH units you'll need and hopefully lower your electricity requirements.

I have one of the MJ mod kits with the magnet holder FS for a steal since it was used for a few hrs, I just couldnt return it.... grrr....

PM me for more info

hahahaha... thats funny! are you on here all day? you posted that responce in the at the same time i posted that reply... thats NR dedication

Obsessed, I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for, but JBJ has a line of MaxiJet similar pumps that might be worth looking into. I take it you're looking for an actual submersable powerhead/pump rather than a prop job like a Koralia or Nanostream... But something you'd connect tubes and hoses to.

Ummm goto youtube and search for maxi jet mod, some dude named limpet drills and cuts one up... there is also a mod you can buy for like, 40 bucks I think also.. forget what its called.

I love Youtube.

I learned how to drill a tank from one of his DIY sump videos too. I'm gonna have to boomkare all his videos

Thanks for the reminder

Archived