Innovative Marine Aquariums

Loud OverFlow

C Jerome

About two weeks ago I got sick of skimming the surface of my 2.5 with a sourcream cup to get rid of that jaz so... I decided to make a surface skimmer for my AC 150, i played around for a while and eventualy came up with two 1/2 in elbos forming a U, the AC inlet is inserted into the one end and the other end is just below the surface of the water with a modified AC strainer.

So the problem is when a tiny bit of the water evaporates it starts to suck air, this also happens a little bit when the tank is all the way full.

Possible solutions

--Lower the inlet side(but will making the inlet further under the water reduce the sufrace skimming and have the water just drawn from below the surface?)

--Drill a small hole in the botom of the bottom of the U under the inlet(will this do any thing?)

--Drill a small hole in the inlet pipe but near the elbo part that is inside the filter right behind the nub that sticks up to alow you to adjust the flow(this would i guess let the air out, not solving the problem but side tracking it, howver it creates another problem- because i dont thing the filter would self prime with the hole unless my finger was over it)

--A forth solution that i hope one of you has to help me with this problem, i am leaving for school a week from today and my tank is coming with me and it need to be quiet so my roomate does not get angry.

What can i do?

C. Jerome

technoshaman

They make a surface skimmer attachment for fluval skimmers - I think it's a standard 1/2" pipe size - you could always use a reducer bushing to make it fit if you had to.

I got one of these to use with my sumpless 46 gallon on a fluval 204 and man it rocks! the fluval skimmer has a little piece you can adjust the skimmer height to get just the right amount of water flowing in and getting around the gurgling sound.

I have seen people with these surface skimmer attachments and they look good, but i dont thing they will fit into my 2.5gallon. Or are they small, i have only seen them in pictures. Any comments on my other ideas to quiet it down?

Archived