Pod Your Reef

shipping frags

schrader

What is the process for sipping corals?I am thinking of starting to trade corals I have cut but I dont know where to begin.packing,where to ship from,what kind of shipping,the big thing is how not to get burnt on a trade.

Christopher Marks

I have a new article that I wrote on shipping coral frags, see it at: www.nano-reef.com/fragshipping.htm .

I am also currently looking into what plastic containers work well...such as a thermos.  I should have an article on that soon too.

How to not get burnt on a trade?  Keep good contact with them.  e-mail, first name & last, phone number, etc.  

Personally, I feel that I can trust everyone here.

• 3 months later...

I trade and sell cuttings on EBay. The way I ship is I put the cuttings in a double seal ziplock baggie with about 6 oz of water. I buy a small thermos (about a quart in size) at the bottom of the thermos and at the top I put inflated bags to insulate the water filled bag. I then put the thermos in a box diagonally so it doesn't roll around inside the box. I usually ship Priority (2-3day) and total cost is in the $11.00 range for all shipping and packaging cost. Overnight runs about $20.00. that's not bad if you trade a few frags each. I haven't had any complaints yet. This works best with soft coral frags, I haven't tried with sps's or lps's they tend to roll around a bit more and can damage easier.

Archived