ReefCleaners.org

Tunze Skimmer in Solana-- Help?

KMitch

I've seen a billion people with the Tunze Nano skimmer in their solana but can't figure one thing out....

Do you have to take off the magnet from the back to make it go into the tank or does it fit with it on there?

Sorry if this is somewhere, search wasn't yielding good results.

Thanks!

From what Ive read the magnet must come off. Also, I think StevieT makes a great mod for the collection cup that is square and fits the Solana chamber rather nicely... but Im only speaking from what Ive read here... hehe... I am probly going to get a Solana myself in the upcoming weeks/ Are you satisfied overall with the tank? Any suggestions for mods or initial set-up? Thanks. SunnLion.

Yes, the magnet must come off. You can use the skimmer in the first chamber if you purchase StevieT's collection cup. That's how I have mine set up and it works perfect. The tunze simmer body is short so you still have to find a way to raise the skimmer to the correct water line. The magnet is positioned too high to be of use. I removed the magnet and then re-glued it to the lower body of the skimmer so that I could use the magnet to raise the skimmer instead of building a platform. It worked perfect!

• 2 months later...

Hi my name is warren and im just getting into this nano thing i think its going to be fun im in the process of tearing down my 125 reef .Where do i get the steveT skimmer cup ? and does this skimmer work well for the solana ? I think i just found that it is my only option due to me buying a used solana with out hardware and current USA cant even get me the original skimmer.

I removed the magnet and then re-glued it to the lower body of the skimmer so that I could use the magnet to raise the skimmer instead of building a platform. It worked perfect!

What kind of glue did you use? Any kind of acrylic glue? I have my Tunze and StevieT's cup both in transit. I have a Solana I am building up right now. Do you think there is any market to sell the stock Solana skimmer for $30 or something?

What kind of glue did you use? Any kind of acrylic glue? I have my Tunze and StevieT's cup both in transit. I have a Solana I am building up right now. Do you think there is any market to sell the stock Solana skimmer for $30 or something?

I just used regular super glue - the same I use for gluing frags to live rock. Yes, keep that stock skimmer and someone will buy it.

How do you guys compare the Tunze to the stock skimmer? How much better is it?

To be honest, the skimmer that comes with the Solana is decent. If I had it to do over again, I would stay with the stock skimmer. Unfortunately, I broke the stock housing so I have no choice. Dont' get me wrong, the Tunze is a good skimmer - I just can't tell a lot of difference.

I thought about keeping the stock skimmer as some have mentioned it works fine but I have also heard that it is noisy and the Tunze is quieter. I will have my Solana in the bedroom. It seems that the Tunze has much kess poetential for micro bubbles.

• 1 month later...

does the magnet come off the tunzie easly or does it need to be cut off with a dremel or something ?ill be ordering the tunzie sat and the stevet cup monday ill just need to mount it correctly.

Archived