Pod Your Reef

CLOUDY WATER, please help!!!

Infiniti

this morning my water was still clear. i come home 6 hrs later and the water has become sooooo cloudy!!! what should i do?? please help. readings are still normal.

??? Give us some more info please. What are the tank specs, what livestock is in there, how long is your light cycle, and what about macro algae?

Without knowing what happened, I’d suggest large and frequent water changes, maybe running carbon or even floss in a HOB power filter until it clears.

i have a 10gallon. about 1.5 months old. habitants are 1 maroon clown, 3 snails, 1 polyp(glove?) and 1 green polyp (that i think is dead). light cycle is about 12 hrs. not sure what macro algae looks like, but have some kinda green algae with bulb tip. also aglae on glass but not many. i've been running hob with the sponge filter inside. i just changed it and added the carbon bag.

-Infiniti-

At first I was thinking that some macro algae had released its spores and nutients. There are several more threads on this subject if you search for them.

Do you dose anything into your tank?

If the cloudy water isn’t from aquascaping, I’d definitely do a large water change to help remove (dilute) whatever is clouding the tank.

??? Anybody else have thoughts on this?

Off topic: Based on your avatar, It looks like you have plenty of rock in there; so you shouldn’t need to run the sponge filter, as it can generate excessive nitrates (the carbon is fine if you change it out regularly).

Macro algae are basically good things. Some people prefer it in a fuge instead of their main tank for containment and preservation. Macro can take over a tank and compete for space with your corals if nothing is eating it; however if something is eating it, you might not be able to sustain it.

Some macro can be pruned pretty easily. However, I can’t get rid of some sheeting red Gracilaria. A tang would do it, but I don’t have the heart to put a tang in a 7-gallon.

Macro removes excess nutrients from the water and during photo periods it puts back oxygen in the water. It also provides food for your livestock. However, macro going asexual is not good.

Is your water clearing up?

Archived