Cultivated Reef

Crazy cheap chiller. Can't believe how good it works.

hcsceo

OK I got this bank of 6 fans off ebay for about $60 thinking if they work then I've saved a ton and if not then I'd sell them for a loss. My house temps are 78 during the day and my tank was getting to 84-86 under the MH with open tops and I had to do something. It was my hope to get the tank down to 80-82 and that would be a success. The next day after installation I looked and found my temps were 76 at the end of my light cycle and my 50 watt heaters are struggling to keep up. I thought maybe I had done something stupid so the next day I repeated the test. When I left the house without the fans or light on the tank was at 79. At 9am the light and fans turned on and when I returned at 5pm the tank was sitting at 76 again. I didn't think it was possible to get the tank lower than the ambient air temp around it but it happened. Only downside is that it evaps a gallon a day total for the two 10 gallon tanks it is cooling. I'm going to add a diy ATO next week but I thought everyone on a budget really should look at these things. I could have easily cooled both tanks on only 4 fans total which would have saved me nearly $40. Anyway, I hope someone else finds this info useful cause I'm still in shock.

Steve

IMG_0368.jpg

I have basically the same thing running on my tank only I used $5 fans from walmart. My tank evaps over 1g a day too, which isn't a bad thing.

FISHTANKPICS142.jpg

I have mine set in sync with my heater on my Acjr to keep the tank at 77.7. The tank is in front of a window that gets blasted by the sun in the middle of the day. considering that, and the 250w mh these little fans work very well. I haven't seen the temp rise above 78.5 yet this summer.

Kellie in CA

Yeah, I have the Cadlights cooling fan, and it works surprisingly well. But the evaporation is crazy!!! At least 1/2 gallon a day on a 25 gallon tank!

OK I got this bank of 6 fans off ebay for about $60 thinking if they work then I've saved a ton and if not then I'd sell them for a loss. My house temps are 78 during the day and my tank was getting to 84-86 under the MH with open tops and I had to do something. It was my hope to get the tank down to 80-82 and that would be a success. The next day after installation I looked and found my temps were 76 at the end of my light cycle and my 50 watt heaters are struggling to keep up. I thought maybe I had done something stupid so the next day I repeated the test. When I left the house without the fans or light on the tank was at 79. At 9am the light and fans turned on and when I returned at 5pm the tank was sitting at 76 again. I didn't think it was possible to get the tank lower than the ambient air temp around it but it happened. Only downside is that it evaps a gallon a day total for the two 10 gallon tanks it is cooling. I'm going to add a diy ATO next week but I thought everyone on a budget really should look at these things. I could have easily cooled both tanks on only 4 fans total which would have saved me nearly $40. Anyway, I hope someone else finds this info useful cause I'm still in shock.

using fans works because converting water to the higher energy level of a gas (evaporation) uses excess energy from the water which cools it cooler then the air. think swamp cooler, i currently just leave a room fan on in the day because my tank is cycling planning on adding a similar setup

Yeah, I have the Cadlights cooling fan, and it works surprisingly well. But the evaporation is crazy!!! At least 1/2 gallon a day on a 25 gallon tank!

That's GOOD, Kellie! I get almost that amount of evap on my custom 10g AIO in a 24 hour period!! And that's with only a single 120x120mm Aqua-Tek fan blowing over the tank.

• 1 month later...

Add a Ranco controller, you'll getting cooling benefit, with more control, less fight with the heaters, and less evap. I'm using a controller with a fan it works great.

Woot, Thanks. I'll have to try to rig up some fans, maybe on the sump level as I like a clean display. I was considering a chiller, but will give this a try.

Fans FTW!

Mag7 return, skimmer pump, 2x tunze 6025s, dual 150mh 6 inches above the water in a canopy...........one 5 inch Target fan and 79 deg all day long.

Fans FTW!

Mag7 return, skimmer pump, 2x tunze 6025s, dual 150mh 6 inches above the water in a canopy...........one 5 inch Target fan and 79 deg all day long.

Mine stays between 77.9 and 78.1 24/7 now since the tank no longer sits in front of a window that gets blasted by the south tx summer sun. cheap fans + Acjr FTW.

GLENNR1978-

It's not really bad or harmful thing but its really more of anoying thing that you just have to keep topping your tank off MORE often if you dont have a ATO setup. But I dont really mind because the fans work damn good....

GLENNR1978-

It's not really bad or harmful thing but its really more of anoying thing that you just have to keep topping your tank off MORE often if you dont have a ATO setup. But I dont really mind because the fans work damn good....

top-off.com. best $40 you will spend on your tank!!! I have two of them and haven't had a problem yet!

top-off.com. best $40 you will spend on your tank!!! I have two of them and haven't had a problem yet!

Are they pretty easy to install? I was looking at getting one for myself. I don't have a sump though, would that be a problem?

Why do you guys think evap is a bad thing?

cause chillers are the way to go man!

6" fan propped against wall cools mine btw.

:scarry: Thanks glennr1978. I will have to look into that. I was thinking about a ATO but its scary to think of what might go wrong if the ato goes crazy and starts pumping too much water and starts a over flow situation. I DONT KNOW..... Really dont want to mess with extra water getting pumped into my tank

fingerscrossed:eek::scarry:

Archived