Cultivated Reef

Will oceanic protein skimmer help with cyano/nitrates?

nimrod

I have been battling cyano for a few weeks now and I am thinking its because of the level of nitrates that I constantly have. I have been doing 15% water changes every week but my nitrates every time I test is at a constant 10ppm.

I do not have a fuge because I use my middle chamber to house several layers of filter pads, chemi-pure, purigen and phosguard.

I was thinking of getting an Oceanic protein skimmer to help me lower my nitrates. Do you guys think this will help me reduce nitrates and get rid of cyano? Thanks.

Here are some params:

BC14

70w MH with 8 hr photoperiod (3pm-11pm)

Nirates: 10ppm

Phosphates: 0ppm

Temp: 80-81F

Water: RO/DI water from culligan dispenser + Seachem Reef salts

Feeding: Every 3 days

Dosing: Cyclopeeze/Oyster Eggs (once a week)

Bioload: 2 clowns

How ofter do you change your filter pads? I dont use filter pads, I use live rock and sand in my filter. Yes a skimmer will help with nitrates. Filter pads cause nitrates

How ofter do you change your filter pads? I dont use filter pads, I use live rock and sand in my filter. Yes a skimmer will help with nitrates. Filter pads cause nitrates

Hmmm... I replace filter pads once a week. I probably have 4 layers of filter pads each between the chemical filtrations bags. Will filter floss work better then? I used to use filter floss but changed them out to pads.

If u use filter floss, change it once a week. If you take out your filter pads it might start a small cycle, you would need to do water changes. The only time i use filter floss is after I scrape the tank of algae. I float a lil in the tank so the algae doesnt land back on the glass, and I also use it when I siphon to clean my sand. I find that skimming a using live rock works good. What kind of filter do u use? I missed that.

If u use filter floss, change it once a week. If you take out your filter pads it might start a small cycle, you would need to do water changes. The only time i use filter floss is after I scrape the tank of algae. I float a lil in the tank so the algae doesnt land back on the glass, and I also use it when I siphon to clean my sand. I find that skimming a using live rock works good. What kind of filter do u use? I missed that.

You mean filter pads? I just use ordinary ones that I buy from Petsmart, nothing special about them.

You mean filter pads? I just use ordinary ones that I buy from Petsmart, nothing special about them.

I dont use any filter pads, unless blowing off rock and doing water change, I put one in chamber #1 and its clogged within 15min than I remove it and keep it out, I have a saphire skimmer that works great, IMO the oceaninc is better than nothing, but not worth much. To much flow issues w/ filter in and constantly changes my water levels in turn changing my skimmer adjustments,

Saphire is supposed to be comming out w/ a revised skimmer anytime?

by the way how old is your tank, might just be a cycle you have to wait out.

I dont use any filter pads, unless blowing off rock and doing water change, I put one in chamber #1 and its clogged within 15min than I remove it and keep it out, I have a saphire skimmer that works great, IMO the oceaninc is better than nothing, but not worth much. To much flow issues w/ filter in and constantly changes my water levels in turn changing my skimmer adjustments,

Saphire is supposed to be comming out w/ a revised skimmer anytime?

by the way how old is your tank, might just be a cycle you have to wait out.

Yeah, I actually contacted nanocustoms asking when the NC12 skimmer will come out.

My tank's around 2 mos old.

I guess I can try the Oceanic skimmer see if that does something. I just did not want to spend $40 without any idea if ever that would work with my problem :D

Look on ebay, I got a prizm delux on there for cheap. A good skimmer is a great choice if you plan on getting serious about reef keeping, which you will. Start off good and you will save money in the end. I have upgraded every thing from lights, skimmers, filters, power heads because I thought i was saving money, but I spent way more. A good skimmer thats used wont cost too much at all and will be worth every cent. If you plan on just keeping mushrooms and some softies you can have some nitrates and maybe dont need a skimmer.

Archived