Coral Vue Hydros

Refugium problem, need some advice.

mane3215

So I set my new fuge up on the back of the tank today. I put it on the back (20g) and fill it with about 3g of water, sand, lr, and some macro algae. Start a siphon on the intake tube, and hit the pump.

Now the problem, the water in the intake compartment gets sucked down to the bottom of the pump intake, which makes it them suck air, then it fills a bit, shoots some water, then air, then water, you get the picture =). The overflow into the power head chamber is obviously not flowing enough water to keep the pump chamber full. What are my options?

I guess I can go to a smaller ph, though I didnt want to drop lower then the rio 600 I have in there, or take everything off and out of the fuge, drill some holes, and do a million test runs until I get the flow right (worse option since I dont want the work, or to mess up this pretty fuge).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

do you use a u tube to siphon the water into the fuge from the tank/overflow?? if so you can get a bigger one or if you have room just add another one...

Yeah, its a siphon tube from the overflow into the fuge. Where would I get a bigger one? The intake portion of the fuge is only 1 3/8" from side to side so the only way I could fit two would be one behind the other, which inturn would be to wide for the overflow box.

A bigger one might work. I would hope it worked anyway, as I said, I really dont want to invest in a smaller pump or reduce the flow.

Hello,

what kind of fuge do you have? from what i gather it is a HOB?

well lets see...you could go with a small ball valve plumbed in,

or get a smaller pump, better yet one with an adjustable flow rate.

you don't really want the water to haul ass through your fuge anyway, it is better to flow kinda slow. My fuge water is pushed in instead of pulled back into the tank, then it can pretty much

return it as it gets it( make sense?) also , if your pump is where i think it is it will chew up alot critters that are good for your corals

to munch on. since i do not really know much about your fuge i am being kind of general (sorry)...your fuge may be hella bigger than mine, thus requiring a larger volume of water to move at the same rate.

If it were me i would ditch the rio, but it is your money :)

post some specs so we will be more able to help.

Dex

Yeah, the pump is where you are thinking, and it will chew anything going back into the tank, however there isnt much I can do with the design that I wanted to prevent it.

It is a hob, and I dont mind getting rid of the rio, what do you suggest? I have an aquaglobe 100 I may try using that and hope it works.

Here are some pics of the guy in question the main shot is blurry =(, didnt realize the auto focus was off (I'm lame heh):

Fuge.jpg

blurry.jpg

Okay I understand what you are saying....my bad!

I was picturing a different setup ... in the long run maybe

cutting some baffle out of the way would suit your needs the best? don't seem to be too many alternatives if you don't want to sacrifice any flow.

Well I'm not super worried about flow, and the more I think of it, I am leaning toward a 100gph pump. I'm going to stick my aquaglobe in there and try it since it has an adjustable flow. I do not feel like pulling that out, taking everything out and trying to drill the baffle. It would be a major pita, and may mess up the pretty fuge =).

My tanks is only a 5.5...I'm using a maxi 404 for a 16" long fuge.

the 404 is cranked all the way up.

for your tank maybe a maxi 606 or an aqua clear 201?

don't take that as gospel I would like some other folks to chime in on that one. I'm sold on them because they are good pumps AND

adjustable. i hate getting something home just to find out i should have went "smaller" or "bigger" well, you know what i am trying to say.

aquaglobes are neat lil' powerheads, never had one...hear good things about them though. judging by looks alone i would wonder

if it could hold up acting as a pump instead of a powerhead?

Mr. ESPI could tell ya alot about the aquaglobes.

Archived