inTank Media Baskets

10g Set Up

thunder424

Okay guys, I'm delving into the SW hobby and I'm starting small. I have a 10 gallon FW tank/stand that I'm using right now and I'm wanting to turn it into a SW tank. I'm not looking to break the bank on this, but I'm willing to spend a little bit. The first thing I was looking into was lighting. The current lighting is: (2) CF 10w. Pretty basic, but works well for FW. The tank is only 20" long, so do you suggest any type of lighting/hood?

Also, filtration is a subject on my mind. I have been looking into this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...mp;pcatid=16729

I was looking at the one that is rated up to 25 gallon aquariums... it looks like a good combination at a good price. And, as part of the filtration, how many lbs. of LR would you suggest? I know my LFS only sells large pieces of LR, but I'm looking for small pieces that I can do a little aquascaping with. Do you have any ideas on how many lbs.?

I think those are my two main questions: lighting necessary and filtration needed. I'm open to your ideas. Thanks!

For lighting, there are a number of PC options in 20". A 20" Sunpod would be a better option, but a little more costly.

For filtration, I would look at Hagen Aquaclear filters. They have bigger rear chambers for more filter media, and modifications to turn it into a fuge are well documented. Go as big as you can (AC110). Another option is to adapt a popular setup where you create your own all-in-one setup. Check out the Pico forum for Sandeep's 5gal and 2.5gal AIO setups. Simple to do, but gives you plenty of options.

I would guess around 10lbs of live rock. You'll also need sand. I assume you already have a heater from the FW setup. AC110's are pretty popular, especially for mods.

Of note: While the tank is cycling, you don't need any sort of fancy lighting, some go without lights at all to cut down on nuisance algea. This way, if you are positive you are going to go through with everything, you could get the live rock, sand and salt water cycling while you do more research into lighting.

Archived