Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

newbie cycling/water quality questions...

neo16769

My tank has been cycling now for about a week and as of 2 days ago everything was at 0. Now i'm getting readings all over the place. here's what i'm getting...

Nitrate= 20 mg/l

Nitrite= 1.6+ mg/l

Ammonia= 1.5

KH= 20 <---- pretty high huh?

Calc= 440

PH= 7.7

So, any suggestions on how to lower the KH? I've never dealt with lowering it....

Your tank is now cycling! Levels don't happen immediately. Dead bacteria and algae will take a few days to start breaking down creating cycle waste. Sounds like your fine so far. Just keep testing every few days and chart your progress.

Cameron

I’d boost SG to at least 1.024.

Listen to Physh1, your cycle is coming along fine. Wait for ammonia and nitrites to read zero then make sure your Nitrates are not too high before you start slowly adding in livestock (Nitrates can be lowered with water changes after your cycle has completed).

During the cycle I'd test for ammonia and nitrites. I personally don’t think you need to test alkalinity during the cycle (the same with your pH, which is low now, but should come back up). After your cycle, make sure these levels look good before you start adding livestock.

Archived