Pod Your Reef

adjusting ph

clemtiger00

I have had my nano set up for five days now, I have seen the ammonia and nitrites spike and go back to zero, my only problem is my ph is still low, about 7.9. I would add buffer but my alkylinity(sp?) is about 11.5 or 12. What do I do to lower alkylinity and raise ph.

the alk is actually just fine. No need to do that. The pH is likely a bit low just due to the cycle and high bioload currently. I wouldn't worry about it until the tank has cycles and stabilized.

You will also wanna keep your eye on your magnesium level! A low mag level will cause some pH and alk instabilities.

http://www.californiareefs.com/tanktechchemistry.htm <---That may help a bit...

Cameron

One thing I was told, let me know what you think was to have more surface agitation, to introduce more oxygen. So this morning I moved one of my powerheads closer to the top and I have its deflector a little out of the water. Let me know what you think, thanks.

I think you may encounter salt becoming encrusted on anything that is above the water level...ie the top of your tank, any hang on filter, lights, canopy.

Just make sure water is not constantly sprinkling out...:)

Yes, more surface aggitation (just ripply not crazy waves) will increase gas exchange which will help balance pH if o2 levels were/are an issue.

Cameron

Archived