Pod Your Reef

I have a new baby. What do I call it?

drsmallwood

I have a small rock with some polyps on it. When I moved it to make room for some mushrooms I noticed I had a ... well a bit of life growing on the polyp's rock. That side had been in a very shady area. So what ever it is does not need much light.

The main body is about the size of a pencil eraser. The tendrils/arms stretch to about the diameter of a quarter. They seem to move, but without much coordination. The area that appears mouth like has never moved or changed.

I have tried to enhance the picture a little. So the sand looks a little strange. But the color is very accurate on my PC.

Thanks in advance,

David Smallwood

It's an aiptasia. If you can, remove the rock & break that area off.

I tried injecting them with boilled calk water & it never worked for me. For every one I messed with 3 would apear. :(

AHHH! Rosemary's baby!!! Thanks for the info.

Its on a small rock. I'll try breaking it up. But from my little bit of research, I would be better off just sacrificing the polyps than returning it to the tank.

Thanks again for the help

David Smallwood

I wouldnt sacrafice the polyps for it, just try to break it off, or inject it with calcium. I had a little guy and hit him with like 2ml of calcium right in the stalk, havent seen any since.

Consider also that you can just cover it with that sort of putty you can use to glue (hard)corals to the rocks... Sorry I don't remember the name in English! :)

Archived